What LFS do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad it was a positive experience for you! I need to make a trip down there soon. After seeing the prices in the stores in Chicago yesterday.... 8O YIKES!!! Talk about "sticker shock"!!!! I'll stay down state!! :)

Hi all,
I'm a student at U of I in Champaign and frequent Sailfin (about once a week to walk around - I don't buy much). I find their staff to be very knowledgeable and compassionate. When I got my little tank (30 gallons with an eclipse hood) on a Saturday they spent 2 hours setting me up and giving advise. The store was packed and I was surprised I got so much attention for the amount of money I was spending. The staff is also very nice about dead fish returns; when I added and killed :( my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fish they refunded the money (after testing my water). Needless to say I just sticking to my original fish, Rod (ocellarius clownfish). Over all - it's an awesome store.
Today I went to Capture the Sea in Tinley Park. My boyfriend wanted a tank from our permanent home in New Lenox (and I wanted a bigger tank for Rod). They set us up with a 165 gallon tank with all the goodies we needed. Jim, the owner, was very patient answering all my questions and the prices did seem fairly reasonable. They've been in business for 12 years and do a lot of office set ups (Jim told us this about ten thousand times). The tanks are very clean and bright.
Just my experiences. Hope they help!
Michelle

Wow, I am also a New Lenox native at the U of I. I have a pond at my dad's house in Flosmoor and have found Capital Dog Food to be a great store. I know it sounds like just a dogfood warehouse, but it is mostly fish stuff. They guys there are very knowledgeable, and the tanks seem clean.

Hi Roger,
Where is Capital Dog Food at? Do they have SW fish? I've been all over looking at different fish stores in the area. We need a decent one in New Lenox. I've heard Alsip Nursery has SW fish, but I haven't looked at their fish in about 5 years (never really had any luck there). Have you been there recently?

Here in Naperville (western suburb of Chicago) I've used the following shops:

Petco (rte 59) for my damsels to cycle the tank with (probably would have gone fishless if I knew I could at the time) and my perc. clown. Good prices, hit or miss with staff, probably wouldn't buy fish there without a quarantine tank (just my gut feeling). Don't guarantee.

Petland (rte 59) has an excellent selection, although not the cleanest store. I think they will guarantee to some extent.

Advanced Aquatics (Roselle Rd in Schaumburg) is where I purchased most of my live rock (~$5/lbs) they are very clean, good selection with knowledgeable staff and not too expensive.

Pets, Etc. (75th & Naper) in Naperville has just gotten into the salt water biz so it will be a few months before I think they are ready to be evaluated. So far mostly a ton of damsels in stock and most of their invertebrates I've found are not reef safe or good for beginners.

Would be interested to hear of any other good shops within 15 miles or so.

The only thing I buy at alsip is plants for my pont. I can't remember the exact location of capital. From the intersection of 183rd and Cicero, you north until you go under 80, and it is right on the left/west.

Loganizzi-

I am a former Napervillian, now I live just over the border.

Petco - Have not had any problems with FW I have bought there, but don't rely on the staff for info. I bought my favorite predator (Sorubim Lima - Shovelnosed Cat) there and was promptly informed that it was a scavenger and loved Algae wafers. I knew better, and weened them onto frozen blood worms over live fish.

Petland - Their prices are not the best, but I've gotten to know people there and have spent a large stack of bills there. They've special ordered for me and have the best selection of plants. Their salt water section is also extensive.

Pets, Etc. - Inexperienced high school kids maintain their tanks. One guy cleaning the tanks asked another if he was supposed to vacuum the gravel after about his 5th tank. I don't recommend them anymore, they've lost a step or two.

Petsmart - Dry goods.

A Pet Paradise - 2009 W 63rd, Downers Grove - They've got a large selection, but keep all of their fish in small tanks. Never bought here before, but their selection is wide.

Critters Pet Shop - St. Charles - Just avoid it. Horrid.

Scott's Pet Shop - 3054 S Wolf Road, Westchester - Don't call them, they won't answer. Good luck getting help when it's busy. With that said, they have the biggest selection of exotics. They have jelly fish, sting rays, all kinds of stuff. Great place to even just browse.

Tropi-quatics - 426 S Main St, Lomard - If you want a new tank, this is the place. I got a new 72 gal bowfront, glass top, strip light, solid wood stand for $400. The tanks are dirty, but if you want a new tank, look here.

Dog Patch - On Ogden in Naperville - Dirty, algae ridden tanks, I don't recommend it. But if you are in the market for birdseed, great selection.

Just a couple to wet the whistle.

I've heard about Scott's and been meaning to get over there to have a look around.

Does Pet Paradise have Salt Water? How do their prices look?

Was just at capital again, and wow their tanks look great. As far as salt, they have a wide selection of things including LR. Their prices are great compared to petsmart. $.30 cheaper for neons, and I got a 5" pleco for $5, which would have only gotten me a 3" at petsmart. As I was picking up some more fish for my pond the guy asked me about how I had cycled it, so they obviously know what they are doing. I will be going back this weekend, so if anyone wants me to check any prices/selections just let me know.

Hey Roger,

If you have time, I'd love to get a report on their Salt Water livestock. How varied is their selection? Do they have corals, mushrooms or any invertebrates? What do they charge?

It's a good drive for me, so any reconnaissance you can do would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

An update on Alsip in Frankfort, I was just there today and don't bother unless you are shopping for outdoor pond plants. They have a very small selection, and little if any salt. There tanks do not look to be in the best condition either, I saw a few dead fish.

Yeah, I figured as much for Alsip. I was able to check out Capital Dog Food. I looked very nice. I just can't get over they have fish, too. I think one of my friend's might get a tank from there, as their prices on dry goods looked very reasonable. Thanks for the recommendation, Roger! :D

Has anyone checked out Aquatica? It is on Oak Park Ave in Tinley Park. I stopped in there about 2-3 weeks ago. They don't have a very "lage" slection of fish but, they have some of the prettiest ones I have seen in my short time in the hobby. They have alot of unique fish. All saltwater stuff. They seem to be primarily in to the larger size fish, I would assume that they are for people who want to have the "show" fish right now.

Other places I have been to have been:

The Ark
Merriville Indiana
On US 30

Chicago Reptile House
Orland Park (behind the Orland Mall)

Exotic Aquatics
Highland Indiana

Terry's Aquarium
Lansing
(no longer there, it burnt down. :( )

Been to both Alsip Nurserys (St John Indiana and Frankfort)...no saltwater fishes. I just buy salt or other things from them occasionally.

I have not tried Capitol Dog Food.....LOL I have seen that a million times and would have never thought they had fish. I will have to check them out. I have been doing a lot of searching out different places and asking questions to see if I can find a LFS that I can trust for information and quality goods. Price to me is not a problem, it's the service for me that means the most.

Mike

Capital is the best in the area IMO. If you go make sure you talk to Ken, he is a tall skinny balding guy with glasses. He really knows his stuff.

There is a Terry's Aqualand in Loves Park near Rockford. If she dosent have it she will try and get it for you. She has a great place with a few well educated people working for her.

I just bought some base rock from Aquatics in Tinley Park today.
$2.00 a pound. Pretty good stuff too. I plan on stopping at Capitol some time next week for a look around.

Mike

I was in Aquatics last weekend. Beautiful fish - makes me want a salt water tank. Although I was surprised by how small the store was.

Alsip in Frankfort is awful. I saw 2 dead fish, one of them was a betta in a plant bowl, who probably starved to death. Their danios were moving soooo sloowww. But, they did have a decent selection of tanks and stands.

I visited Slice of Nature on Saturday and was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the tanks, etc. The Cichlid tank was gorgeous and settled my decision on what to do with my 240 gallon I have in storage. :D I ended up getting a fantail goldie to finish out the tank I currently have set up and the little guy is a beautiful color. :)

I live in the Effingham area and usually visit Noah's Ark Pet Shop...they have a nice setup like Slice of Nature and I think their quality is on the same level. All my previous fish I have bought from Noah's Ark.

A couple of weeks ago I visited Petropics in Charleston, IL and they seemed to have some nice stuff. Anyone bought anything from there before? Their setups looked very nice, healthy and all that, etc.

Back
Top Bottom