What lighting would be best for a 15-gallon column tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyK

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 15-gallon column tank from Aqueon is planted with anacharis, glossostigma, java moss, and cryptocoryne, and the plants don't seem like they're getting all the light they need since my tank measures approximately 13.5" wide by 13.5" deep by 19" tall. I feel like the fluorescent lighting it came with is okay, but it's just not as bright and clear as I'd like. I'd prefer LED lighting, but I know that can get pretty expensive, and I'm a broke student with a very low budget. What lighting options would you suggest and can you give me a ballpark estimate of how much it would cost?

Here's a picture of the tank if it helps any. I've had this tank for about a month, and at first, I only had the anacharis, then I added the other plants about a week or two later, which is why it looks so sparse.
IMG_5793.jpg

A low cost alternative is the use of twisted CFL bulbs. 23w, 6700K mounted in a desk lamp or utility dome light. You can use this to supplement the existing lighting depending on the hood or put a glass top on a run a few of these.

A low cost alternative is the use of twisted CFL bulbs. 23w, 6700K mounted in a desk lamp or utility dome light. You can use this to supplement the existing lighting depending on the hood or put a glass top on a run a few of these.
Fresh is correct. Just to throw out another affordable option. A pair of say finnex clip lights. Ive seen a couple tanks the size of yours grow plants well with two finnex clamps.

Back
Top Bottom