What lightingfor anenomes and other coral life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heerism

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What type of lights do I need ot have anenomes and other organisms that grow on live rock and coral?

MH for sps corals, anemones (although anemones don't do well in captivity no matter what) MH, VHO, and/or PC for lps and soft corals. A "loose" general rule of thunb is 3-5 watts per gallon of tank capacity.

The general rule of thumb for coral is 4-6 watts per gallon, and soft corals will live and often thrive under normal output flourescents at a little less if they are within 10 or so inches of the light source. I do not have experience with anenomes but their light requirements are higher and the intensity must also b higher like halides, though don't quote me on that one. I have noticed the stupid aiptasia anenome seems to do just fine under 4 watts per gallon in my reef. It won't take long before the electric meter will be spinning like crazy and you'll be saying "Hmmm, I wonder if I can wire one more bulb into this thing somehow"

Back
Top Bottom