What now??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
My wisteria is having problems. The new leaves are turning yellow and curling under and getting blackish clear spots. ( I will try and get some pics later today if you need them.) I lost the card for my nitrate test, the color is mostly yellow/slightly orange. On the nutrient deficiency page it sounds like an iron problem but there is nothing about the black spots, its not bba.

How many separate things are people dosing? Is there something I can get that has everything I need in it or is it better to dose separately? I am about ready to rip everything out and start over. :evil: :evil:

http://www.aquariaplants.com/plantdeficiencies.htm

Sounds like Potassium Deficiency to me.

For a smaller tank I recommend getting the Flourish line of ferts: Flourish Comprehensive, Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Phosphorus, and Flourish Potassium. For larger tanks I would recommend ordering from Greg Watson: CSM+B, KNO3, KH2PO4, and K2SO4. It is best to dose macros (Nitrate, Phosphate, and Potassium) separately so that it is easier to achieve the balance that your tank needs.

if its an Aquarium Pharm. nitrate test, Yellow is 0ppm light orange 5ppm, orange 10ppm, and when it starts going reddish orange you're hittin 20-40ppm.

does sound like potassium to me, but if nitrate is lacking like it appears to be, the plants will slow all nutrient intake since nitrogen is #1 on the priority list. This can cause additional deficiencies to form.

Also here are some pictures if this helps any.
Most of those yellow leaves I pinched off after I took the pics.

FWIW, that looks exactly like Fe/trace deficiency to me. If so, the tips and new growth should quickly (<1week) perk up after starting/increasing traces. I think the black spots are on leaves too far gone, and you should trim them off.

You can get traces with K in many commercial ferts, like Leaf Zone and Flourish, if so inclined.

Back
Top Bottom