What other fish could i add ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 2 false clown fish and 1 diamond sand sifting goby .
I wanted to add either a blue hippo tang or a powder blue
My tank is only a 70 gal with about 75 lbs of life rock .
In one end is where the clown fish and anemone have set up home and closer to the middle is where the goby lives .
A few different things to consider .
Fighting : I started with 10 hermit crabs and they seamed to kill off the weaker ones and I might only have 5 of them left now .
The goby and clown fish all seam to be territorial guarding their side of the tank .
Can I put a different breed of clown fish ?
Damsels , wrasses ,

those fish require a bigger tank then a 75 gal. The hippo needs a 180 the powder a 125.

Those Tangs are a bad idea. You could probably get away with smaller like Kole or Tomini. There are a lot of fish that will work in a 70, but it has several limitations. Some fairy wrasse are okay...some Hawkfish...dotty backs...I would avoid damsels...small angels like Flamebacks or Cherubs...I would not add more clowns, they will very likely fight...dwarf lion fish could work...there are several others...

Check out places like liveaquaria.com where they have minimum tank requirements, compatibility charts, etc.

have you thought of maybe coral beauty or a flame angel or even a potters angel I wish I got one of these good looking fish
img_2458322_0_598a584a13fb714aeed4c4978b25dab4.png

I would not put more clowns in a 70, just one pair.
Is it fish only? I would agree with the others- go with a dwarf angel. That is what I plan to put in my 56g tank. Not enough room for a tang.

I would not put more clowns in a 70, just one pair.
Is it fish only? I would agree with the others- go with a dwarf angel. That is what I plan to put in my 56g tank. Not enough room for a tang.

I was planning on fish only but put a anemone in with my clowns .
I want something nice like a tang , angel or butterfly but most of them need a huge tank .
I knew I should have set up the 125 gal instead .

You can do some Tangs in a 75g. Kole, Tomini, TwoSpot, etc. Smaller tanks definitely have limitations on fish, but there are still many great looking fish that work in smaller tanks. I have a 75g that I wish was much larger. Was going to upgrade this summer, but stuff keeps popping up between kids and hounds that eats up those funds.

You can do some Tangs in a 75g. Kole, Tomini, TwoSpot, etc. Smaller tanks definitely have limitations on fish, but there are still many great looking fish that work in smaller tanks. I have a 75g that I wish was much larger. Was going to upgrade this summer, but stuff keeps popping up between kids and hounds that eats up those funds.

I'm not sure where you are but I am selling my 125

I already had 2 clown fish , and one sand sifting goby .
Yesterday I added 1 kole tang , 1 collerband butterflyfish and 1 very small blue tang .
It seams they are all doing ok .
The kole tang seams to be bullying the goby or he might just be very shy wanting to hide everytime the kole tang is close .
I know the blue tang will grow too big for my 75 gal later .
Should I be worried about anything between the goby and kole tang ?

Good luck with the copper banded butterfly. Did you see it eat before you bought it? Many of them starve to death because all they will eat is live food.
IMO, start looking for a larger tank too!

Good luck with the copper banded butterfly. Did you see it eat before you bought it? Many of them starve to death because all they will eat is live food.
IMO, start looking for a larger tank too!

The copper banded butterfly does pick , he seams to go after frozen shrimp ..
When you say live food what do they prefer ?
As for the bigger tank are you referring to the issue between the kole tang and goby ?
Thanks mr x
Again your wisdom is very helpful

I am referring to pods. The ones I've kept only ate pods and the large tanks I kept them in just couldn't keep up the pod population enough to sustain it. Nothing worse than watching a fish slowly wither away before your eyes.
The bigger tank would be necessary for the copper banded, the kole and the blue tangs. All of those will need a larger tank in a short time.

I am referring to pods. The ones I've kept only ate pods and the large tanks I kept them in just couldn't keep up the pod population enough to sustain it. Nothing worse than watching a fish slowly wither away before your eyes.
The bigger tank would be necessary for the copper banded, the kole and the blue tangs. All of those will need a larger tank in a short time.

I had the same problem. I raise pods now so I can keep one poor little Mandarin fat and happy. Copperband will eat a lot more than the Mandarin. I had one years ago and didn't succeed in keeping him for more than a year. Keep him fed well.

He seams to be picking allot and I saw him eat 1 little piece of shrimp .
I mixed scallop and shrimp together .
I'm not sure if he is getting enough though .

My blue tang is acting kinda weird too but I'm sure he will come around .
The copper band , blue tang and kole tang I added yesterday ,
I just checked parameters to see if I put too many in and they are all good ,
I did notice my hang on skimmer over flowing and not sure why

I also have 2 clown fish with anemone .

Will the copper banded butterfly pick at him or try to eat it ?

I think the copper band butterfly may pick on anemone
but if you keep him fed well enough he may leave it alone
no sure fire way of knowing

After feeding with scallops and shrimp mixture I knew it might pollute my water ,
Within a hour my water started going cloudy ,
I did a water change and water is clear and skimmer is working good too .

Back
Top Bottom