What part of California are you from?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are a couple hours away, beautiful down there in San Diego!

So much for spring, more like summer!! Anyone else having problems with keeping their tanks cool?

Sorry I haven't been on the board more, welcome everyone!! Wow how this forum has grown! :BIG:

hey guys, just moved to long beach!!! Apartment's looking a little sparse... time for a new tank! hehe just kidding... I may wait a month or two before gettin a new one.

anyhoo, recommend any in the long beach area? or further out?

If you're looking for a tank, I've got a 100 gallon with stand and canopy that should be ready to sell in about a month (maybe less). Let me know if you're interested. It's got an internal overflow box.

David

whats up, new to the board, although i'm over at oscarfish.com lurking alot...lol

in any case, i live in huntington beach, ca. about a 15 minute walk to the beach from my house. i've got a 150 in my living room i'll be upgrading to a 250-280gl soon. a 20 gallon in my sons room (he's 10 months old, the sound of the water helps him sleep) and a 20 gallon hospital tank all setup but dry because thats how i run my hospital tanks...

next in the works other than the big tank is setting up a breeder tank of either guppys, convicts or mollys.

my favorite lfs' in orange county would have to be:

1. pacific reef, fountain valley, corner of brookhurst and garfield. great selection of fw/sw and corals. plus a knowledgable staff that is actually listens when you talk to them.

2. tongs tropical fish, fountain valley, corner of magnolia and warner. great selection, knowledgable staff

there are few other nice ones around, but these two have been awesome helping me out.

Nice to meet you, Wright. Those two are pretty much the ones I frequent.

Have you been to Ocean Reef? It's just around the corner from you. Not really the reason I go all the way to HB, but I'll stop there on my tour of lfs in your area.

ocean reef on beach? not to big of a fan. i mean, the owner is cool, but the condition of ALOT of his freshwater fish is just appalling in my opinion. i mean, he has 8-11inch flowerhorn/oscars/JD's in 10 gallon tanks...some for weeks at a time...

it kind of pisses me off actually, to the point that i won't even walk back by the fish if i'm there for supplies.

San Francisco in the Inner Richmond district. A block from 6th Avenue Aquarium and 9 blocks from Nippon fish store. Fairy Lake Discus might be nearby as well but I have not ventured therein.

Rocklin, about 30 mins. out of Sacramento. (waving to the other Sac area folks) My husband and I have a 20-gallon with 2 goldies and a 10-gallon FW--I'm prowling these forums because we're setting up a 75-gal SW tank right now--as soon as I refi the house to pay for it! Well, it's not quite that bad, but our friends all seem to think we're pretty much nuts so I enjoy the encouragement here as well as the advice!

ETA: Hey, I just got a fish and went from "newbie" to "apprentice"! Cool. I feel like I've arrived. :)

I just moved to Davis, about 15 minutes from Sacramento. I lived in Santa Barbara for the past four years while i went to school. Right now I have a 5gal, 6gal, 10gal, and am setting up a 30gal tank. I probably would have more if I had the money and space. But wouldnt we all.

I live in Santa Barbara, CA. I am 16 and just started out with a saltwater tank (never kept fish before). Marine aquariums fascinate me. It seems like it is 10 times harder/expensive to keep a saltwater tank rather than a freshwater. I am not saying that it's impossible but freshwater seem so much easier. I am so worried about making a fatal mistake that can kill everything I have so I am very cautious and research things before I make a move.

Good to be around fellow Californians.

$imple

Elk Grove California... Just south of sac town. my favorite store is capitol, and the only one i'll get fish from anymore. but yah, im 19 and been into fish for a long time, only been allowed to keep a tank for about a year now. living with parents sucks... looking to move to alabama. then i'll have to join that forum... lol, but i'll come back to cali. we have the best weather!!!

I am new to the hobby and live Redondo Beach, Cali....Southern suburb of LA North west of Long Beach....also referenced in the Beach Boys song (Who my dad used to play poker with in High School) California Girls.....just thought I would throw a little trivia in the mix

deeni0z said:
Hey there! I'm in the San Fernando Valley area. Anyone know any good fish stores around the 91343/91344 area codes?

Oh man, there are tons. These places are great:

Aquarium City 818-887-7369 (Sherman Oaks)
Mark's Tropical Fish 818-762-7700 (Studio City)
Underwater Depot 818-789-7323 (sherman oaks)
Aquarium Center 818-501-3544 (Canoga Park)

I would suggest avoiding the Petco's inthe valley when it comes to livestock since so many of the tanks have ick.

Back
Top Bottom