What plants are these ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up two sets of these colored plants from my LFS.. Any idea what they are ? The red ones in the back and those tall purple/pink ones ?

img_2616046_0_9d614e24b674060156ee7b032e84a17f.jpg

The bright red is nesaea 'red leaved' and the other is inclinata 'pantal" or something or other. Use the APC data base, the second will be in there.

Its definitely not alternanthera reineckii AKA "scarlet temple"

Either way they are both difficult plants that need high light + fertz + co2

Looking at the stem color and leaves on the back plant I have to agree it's Nesaea sp. 'red', Nesaea praetermissa but I believe it's in it's emersed growth form.

Will these be ok in the gravel in the tank ? I upgraded the tanks light.. Its a 21 year old tank with the original equipment in it.. all works great too lol.. The tank is 36 inches long tho and while the hood is 36 inches long the light inside is only one T8 17w Colormax bulb that is 24 inchs long so 5 inchs on each side of the tank were dark and it was just dim to begin with..

So I went to petsmart and got the duel T5 lighting setup from Aqueon it has a T5 color max, and a T5 Daylight bulb.. the color spectrum on the box is a very WIDE range of light and combined its 42 watts vs my old 17... So now I have about 1.5ish watts per gallon vs 0.5 watts.. I am also using CO2 booster from API everyday, and I have the API leaf zone and I just got a big bottle of the seachem flourish..

My other tank is a deep 27 gallon hexagon.. it too had the original hood 13 years old... the tank is 20 inchs wide but the light was 15 inches... and only 15w.. So I made my own hood out of plexiglass and yes I know plexi can warp a little it already is but I don't care its not gonna warp like chewing gum... They don't sell small duel lamps for a hex so I got a second hood light with a 18 inch bulb.. now I have two T8 bulbs one colormax one Full spectrum.. 30 watts.. I have around 1 watt per gallon in that tank now.. I realize its not 3-4 watts or crazy amounts but ive spent probably 500-600$ on both tanks the last few weeks... So yea do you guys think itll be enough ?

And yep your right I looked on google the pinkish purple ones are the limnophila hippuroides , and the red ones is the red nesaea I think it looks like them anyway.. Cool thanks.. Its been in the tanks for a week now.. They seem to be losing a little color and going more orange then red, but now that I got the flourish bottle today I hope to change that plus the light is only been on since yesturday

If you can keep the nesaea alive I will be very impressed because from everything I have read about it it is a very difficult plant and is very unstable, to the point were it will randomly die. Good luck!

Limnophila hippuroides can surprise you with the light it can grow in sometimes. However it will not color up well at all. This is what it can color up to.... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: RIVERCATS 220G Transformation - Picture.

The Nesaea Red will most likely not survive and it will continue to lose color. I have been keeping Nesaea Golden for over a year and it's a royal PITA. I have very high light, CO2, also use liquid carbon, and dose dry ferts PPS-Pro. I have a dirted tank capped with Eco-Complete and it struggles. Oh it grows, but slowly, and if nutrients levels are slightly off from what they are used to leaves will begin to show signs of stunting.

In a tank with your lighting there are very few non green plants that will grow and retain their color. One tho you could do is Red Tiger Lotus. It actually grows quite well in lower light but you have to keep root tabs by it's roots.

Well the LFS I got these plants from don't seem to have any issue keeping the color and plant alive.. They had like 20 plants all in a what looked like 25-30 gallon tank and had one white flourscent light about a foot ina half above it and it was planted in sand, and I asked if she uses any special food for them and she said they might use flourish every now and then but no..

My tank on the other hand has two lights in it now.. and with it being a 30 gallon LONG tank.. it isn't very wide nore tall the plant's are literally 3-4 inchs from the light and they are literally directly below the bulbs. Im thinking itll be enough light.. Well see.. Its been in the tank for a week now and it isn't shrivling up or losing leaves.. and there like 5-6 stems of them together in those 2 groups.. Like compared to your tank the 220g im looking at which is what 3 feet deep ? They have one in the LFS so I know how big that monster is lol.. You might have a lot of light but how much light is it in comparison to the depth and width of the tank compared to mine ? You see what im saying ? You obviously know more then I do about plants that's for sure.. but I think my reasoning has some logic doesn't it ?

One is turning slightly green I noticed, but I think looking back on that picture it was already like that.

Your LFS probably shipped the plant were it was groen, and stuck it in the tank until it was sold... Like a holding tank

The amount does not really matter when you have no source of co2/ferts, and flourish is not enought, that is only dosing micros

Keep us updated on both of the plants! I am curious to see how the two react to the conditions of your aquarium!

Im using flourish, and leaf zone, and api co2 booster... Im also thinking of getting those tablets.. They are only $7 for like what 6 or 8 of them.. and each one lasts a month.. I was thinking of sticking 1 by the sword, 1 or 2 by the red nesaea and maybe 1 by those purple things. Im also treating the tank for ich still.. I thought it was gone but a fish got it so im not raising my temps like I did before.. its at like 80-82f but im using the rid ich again.. but it doesn't seem to be affecting my plants so that's good

The thing is you are right the LFS gets them in a shipment but those red plants were in their store for weeks.. I remember seeing them, and 2 weeks ago I didn't care for plants now I do so I snatched em all up lol and they seem to be fine..

Those tall stringy pink/purple ones shed like crazy tho when I first got em and put in the tank like 100 leaves fell off, and still do if I grab and mess with it.. But I think that's normal for that plant I dunno.. But I'll keep an update on how my plants are doing.. The anubius in both tanks are doing great.. The stems and leaves are aiming way high in the air/water lol and im getting new growth on them already.. The sword in the 30 gallon has grown already at least 2 inchs.. Its starting to pop out of the hood through holes for pumps ect lol..

My java fern don't seem to be growing tho.. they are just as small as before but they are a solid green at least

Those tall stringy pink/purple ones shed like crazy tho when I first got em and put in the tank like 100 leaves fell off, and still do if I grab and mess with it.. But I think that's normal for that plant I dunno.
Limnophila hippuroides does shed when first introduced to a tank if the new tanks lighting and water parameters are a lot different than where they came from BUT once acclimated to a tank they only shed if they aren't in sufficient light. They can still grow in lower light but they will become more leggy and scraggly looking. I've kept this plant for years and grow it in several tanks but in order for it to look its best with its best color it needs at least a medium high light, good ferts, and at least liquid carbon.

Question.. I came with a neat idea... What if I buy tiny mini clay pots of something from home depot and use some miracle grow or some sort of potting mix and put the red nesaea in them and bury it under gravel ? Would I have dirt flying around in my tank or could I pull something off like that ?

I really am not going to remove the gravel.. I have like 3-4 inchs of gravel... a under gravel filter... I don't wanna kill my fish either itll be a mess if I do that. So yea ? This is assuming the plant starts to lose coloring even with all the liquid ferts im using.. I understand gravel isn't the best substrate so that's why I was thinking of doing this.

would liquid co2 from API when it comes to airstones be affected ? I have a 3 inch air stone in my 27g hex tank and it looks cool in the back ground.. but if it negates the effect of the co2 maybe ill turn it off ? and I guess while im asking do Biobag filters for the filters that hang off the side of the tank.. do they filter out all the liquid ferts and co2 im using ??

Liquid carbon isn't CO2 and airstones won't affect it. Just as your filter won't remove liquid carbon or ferts.

You can put plants in pots, organic soil capped with sand or very small grained gravel but that will not make up for lack of light, CO2, and proper macro and micro ferts.

I would not buy anything extra to try and care for this plant, unless you wanna go all out. It is simply not enough. We are talking about one of the most difficult stems in the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom