What plants should i use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loddy Dod

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I am wondering what kind of plants I should use in this tank. It's 15 gallons and has 30 watt fluorescent light. It also has DIY CO2. Here is a pic (Sorry for bad quality taken on a phone)

image-1319503017.jpg

So yeah, I kind of want to do big tall plants on the left then go shorter on the right. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Crypt. Wendtii, but I tell everyone to get that because I think it's amazing. ;)

Thanks! I looked that up and it's pretty cool! Any idea were to get some? And any other suggestions?

I've never seen it at a chain store but every one of my local fish store's usually has it.

Rokuzachi said:
Crypt. Wendtii, but I tell everyone to get that because I think it's amazing. ;)

Great suggestion. It's worth trying hard to find. Maybe one of the shops can order some for you. I have the bronze type (about 10 years old) and I just don't have the heart to remove it no matter how much it doesn't fit my new re-scape.

What's the lighting spectrum fr your bulbs? Daylight or 65k is best. Java fern is an easy and nice looking plant that is a deffinate recommendation. I would also try some stem plants like ludwigias or hygrophilas. Anubia are good short plants and if you can find it, golden annubia looks awesome.

Wysteria crypts rotala indica java moss java fern all of em grow in low light and no co2 the rotala under low light stays green but in high light with iron suppliments it turn a pinkish yellow

I think some nice green crypts would look good around the driftwood in your tank. Crypts were my first plants and they do good in low light and are very low maintenance.

MickeyA said:
Wysteria crypts rotala indica java moss java fern all of em grow in low light and no co2 the rotala under low light stays green but in high light with iron suppliments it turn a pinkish yellow

Good choices. I believe Rotala Inca is the one that gives nice Red/Golden new growths. I have some in my 5.5g Shrimp tank with Flourite, no CO2, and a simple desk lamp. It will look good in the back right.

Foreground. Anubias Nana would be an excellent choice. Low needs but a slow grower. Make sure not to bury the rhizome. Crypts are also great choices. I have a 29g just littered with them because they are so awesome. Crypt Wendtii comes in many varieties such as green, red, and bronze. If you find Crypt Crispatula (rarer) you can put that in the background. It's a beeeautiful plant.

Water Sprite is another good one, it also draws nutrients from the water column which will help keep you water quality better, and you can cut it at any height as it grows.

Thank you all for the help! I will probably do some crypts like wendtii and wisteria, then do some java fern or something. Ill also add some dwarf sag everywere else to make a nice carpet!

One question, my substrate is pool filter sand, its been in the tank for awhile so it definitely has some good nutrients in it. But I want to add some sort of fertilizer. I was looking at root tabs but they are really expensive for my budget. Any other suggestions?

:thanks:

You can make home made root tabs by freezing Osmocote in ice cubes and then just bury them under your plants. I was in the same situation and didn't want to spend a ton on root tabs and another user recommended this method to me. It works pretty well. I've heard that Osmocote Plus works best but I couldn't find any so I just use regular Osmocote.

I have Flourite as my substrate and I dose with SeaChem Flourish after my water changes. I may be moving on though because my LFS isn't supporting SeaChem ferts anymore.

Thanks aces! How many do I put in an ice cube? And how often would i add new ones? And do I just put one under each plant?

Loddy Dod said:
Thanks aces! How many do I put in an ice cube? And how often would i add new ones? And do I just put one under each plant?

The user who told me about it said to fill the tray with 1/2 Osmocote and 1/2 water. And just space them out a few inches below the plants, I don't think you need one per plant. I think you're supposed to replace then every 3-4 months or so.

Back
Top Bottom