What plecos are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExoticAquarist

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My grandpa got me a surprise gift ( a mag float algae scraper and 2 plecos) I want to know the species. There are pictures but they are quite bad and don't really capture the fish well. I'll try and get some better ones. Here is a description: 1 3-4 inch, 1 1 1/2-2 inch. They are dark brownish/black with spots that could be called off-white, tan, light beige, or pale yellow. The larger one has a bristlenose. I only know a bit about plecos and I'm researching more like crazy. The larger one has been staying around the driftwood in my tank. Could it be part of the plecos diet? I also read that plecs are territorial to other plecs. Could I have some help identifying the species and some care tips. They are in a 29 gallon tank on a diet of sinking catfish pellets and wafers, algae, algae wafers, with cucumber and zucchini. Alright, here's the pics.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425243145.889873.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425243171.429029.jpg oh, also do I new live plants?

Aquariums make for a betta world. Wanna discus it?

I think they might be bristlenose plecos.

I agree. It's hard to tell, but I think they're bristlenose plecos. If so, the minimum tank size is 29 gallons. They grow to a maximum size of about six inches. Temperature should be kept about 70-80F. The pH should be about 6.5-7.5 and the water should be soft to medium, but they're highly adaptable. They're not very hard to care for. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! My water is at 78 degrees, with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Nitrates are a bit high at 40 ppm though... Ph is 7.0 and gh is 0 and kh is around 60. I left a cucumber slice in the tank and this is the result I got in the morning,
So they're eating.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425340445.822463.jpg I also googled some bristlenose plec pictures, and the big one looks exactly like the pictures. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425340522.401835.jpgGod I hate ow my tank looks overly green... Stupid iPod camera...

2 Bristlenose may be too much for a 29g. They are poop machines. And yes, I think wood is a part of their diet. Plus they like like the biofilm that grows on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They kind of just look like common plecos to me, they will eventually out grow the 29g but your feeding them good and have driftwood which is good.

Yeah not the best pics but looks like a bristlenose. Just be warned as stated pleco's are pooping machines. Most tend to poop out more of a mess than they clean up.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Might be a little late but they're are bristlenose plecos they will stay smaller than the common pleco will

Thanks guys. They do have many massive turds. They already ate all the algae, and I was afraid they were going to starve so I fed them that cucumber, but as always... "Don't feed them a ton of crap or they won't eat the real crap"

Thanks guys. They do have many massive turds. They already ate all the algae, and I was afraid they were going to starve so I fed them that cucumber, but as always... "Don't feed them a ton of crap or they won't eat the real crap"

Don't feed them too much the more you feed the more they will poop and the more they poop the more you need to change the water

Yes, I still feeding them other stuff.

Yes it is a bristlenose pleco I love mine though he does poop a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They are already major crap machines

They are already major crap machines

The bigger ones are. I used to have a clown pleco (sadly was a victim to ick) and I never saw any of those "piles of poop" people talk about. Clowns only get like 3-4 inches max though.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

No piles, just strings everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom