What pumps do I use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aralls92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of setting up a 72 gallon reef tank but I don't know which water pumps to use. I don't have any pumps for the currents inside the tank yet. And I need a stronger pump to pump the water back into the tank from the wet/dry filter.

Im using a Mag 9.5 for my return pump.. It depends on how far you have to lift the water and how much flow you want to have.. Most people use an Eheim or a Mag drive pump. There are others also, if you google it or search through the diy/ equipment forums you should be able to find more info.. My mag 9.5 is rated for 950 GPH at 0 head.. I will have it about 4 ft down from the DT so that would drop it to about 800 GPH.. Im also gonna put a valve on it to throttle the flow back as I dont want 800 GPH going through my sump, want it at around 400-500GPH. I think its better to go with a bigger pump and have to restrict it some rather than not having e big enough pump to do the job..

Shane.

what size are the pipes going down to your sump,this will restrict you to the size of pump,but remember as stated by amdninjaboy you can restrict the flow which helps prolong the life of the pump,most eheim pumps have a tap built in to the pump.

The sump is a little less than 4 feet below the tank or about 4 feet and I think it is like 1/2" pond tubing for the return. Right now I have a ViaAqua 2600 pump for the return but the current just isn't strong enough with this pump. Do you guys have any recommendations for pumps just for water flow inside the tank?

Sorry for dropping in so abruptly. I am new to this. I am just setting up an aquarium for the first time and one question I have reguarding powerheads. Are they powered by an air pump or electrical

Thank you

The sump is a little less than 4 feet below the tank or about 4 feet and I think it is like 1/2" pond tubing for the return. Right now I have a ViaAqua 2600 pump for the return but the current just isn't strong enough with this pump. Do you guys have any recommendations for pumps just for water flow inside the tank?

I know that 3/4 pvc can take 660 gph so 1/2 could be around 480gph approx.

Back
Top Bottom