what should i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
So I have a 55 gallon tank.... 3 bp parrots and 2 lemon belly barbs....I was going to return both of the barbs tommrow.(donate them to petland),because they are growing big and cause alot of wastes. This will leave my tank with three bp parrots... Can I add anything to my tank... I was thinking about a pleco....one of them that cleans the tank but don't get overly big and won't get bullied by my parrots.... Please give me some advice....

fishboy87 said:
So can anyone else please give some advice on my question...

From what I have read they shouldn't have a tank smaller than 50 gallons, so I'd say your tank is full.

Now I know some members own BP, I believe Lynda. If anyone who has more experience with BP's chimes in to okay it..

Bristle nose pleco is what I would recommend.

The BPs and a pleco will put out more waste than the barbs.

Not to mention a 55 is too small to keep the 3 BPs, much less add anything else to the mix.

You could definitely put a pleco in there and a few others In my opinion. Your bps look really young still, you could always upgrade later. Although I wouldn't I think if you over filtrate and do weekly water changes you'd be fine.

You could definitely put a pleco in there and a few others In my opinion. Your bps look really young still, you could always upgrade later. Although I wouldn't I think if you over filtrate and do weekly water changes you'd be fine.

Again, disagree.

Most people do not bother to look for a specific pleco and instead buy the commons which can quickly outgrow a 55 and add way to much to the bio-load. If the OP were to add a pleco (keep in mind I'm talking a common) and keep the BPs and barbs, he would need to do water changes at least twice a week. Filters do nothing for getting the poo and other build up out of the gravel. This also comes with my own experience of larger cichlids in a 55.

Secondly: "you could always upgrade later"
That almost never happens. Folks have good intentions: "I'll start with them in this size tank and move up to the right size soon". Three years down the road, those same fish are in that same tank and surviving, not THRIVING. Big difference. For whatever reason; finances, lack of space, etc, the promised upgrade never happens.

It's better to start out correctly, the correct fish for correct tank space than to promise that you'll upgrade. Yes, I know the OP didn't promise.

fishboy87 said:
These are the bp parrots

Awwwwww! Your BPs are so cute!! Hybrids or not, I like them!! I have one BP and my pink kissing Gourami always picks on him even though he could take the gourami out if he wanted too! But he's very timid and shy and non confrontational! I don't see why you couldnt add 1 bottom feeder like a BN pleco. They don't get as large as some of the other plecos. Good luck! :)

I have a blood parrot in my cichlid tank, I love him. I think blood parrots are a very cool and interesting fish. Although man made it is still a fish and a pet to many. But back to the topic I would say you can add a rubber pleco or a bristlenose pleco. They only get to be about 6 inches, against the common pleco qt 24 inches full grown

P8ntballer52 said:
Yeah I have to agree. Who cares if there " man made" or whatever. A fish is a fish. It still swims, eats, lives just like any other fish out there.

I also agree. I don't have any at the moment, but have in the past. You're right, still a living creature, and can provide happiness for someone the same way any others would :)

Try a couple of tetras, I have tetras in with my blood parrot and central American cichlids. Or hatchetfish. ( just what has worked for me, not ill advice)

Back
Top Bottom