What should I get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cauterox04

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30 gallon tank with 8 tiger barbs in it should I get blue rams or Bolivian rams with them. Or what other cichlid could I get that won't destroy my planted aquarium

Kribensis!!!! They are great fish with loads of personality.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would not put an angel with the tiger barbs. I did that and they hurt him so bad I was not able to save him. I had 10 and they were in a 125gal.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bolivians or Rams will work either way. It will strictly depend on how flashy and colorful you want them to be.

What about a fire mouth or a peacock or a eletric blue accura

Don't know about the electric blue, but the firemouth and a peacock can become very aggressive. 30g is also a little too small for them even single. You're best bet would be rams I think.

I was talking to my local fish store he was saying that there moderate aggressive. He said they might be able to work. I also think the blue rams aren't aggressive enough and the tiger barbs will pick on them

What I would do if I were you is up your barbs to 12-15. Then get your centerpiece fish. With that large of a school of barbs they shouldn't bother whatever cichlid you get. Also have you thought of a pair of kribensis??? Look into them. They are great fish and I kno they can hold there own with tiger barbs!!!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gouramis do well with barbs too. The key with tiger barbs is to have a large group and have short finned tank mates. Long fins will get nipped to nothing.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My blue rams and tiger barbs school together. Only aggression I ever saw with them was first 20 min after adding rams. Up the school of tigers by a few bad should be fine.

I have ten of them now my tank is well planted what cichlids won't destroy the tank. Will rams or peacocks mess up the plants I just don't know what I want I n this tank

My rams don't hurt any of my plants. Not sure about others.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How about a flame gourami?
Tops out at 11cm. (~5 inches)

736_Flame_Gourami_Colisa_lalia.e.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would stay away from firemouths and the Peacock. They will get aggressive for sure. Rams are fairly hardy imo. I had Germans with my barbs and all was good.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I mean if there aggressive that's fine I just wanna know if they would kill the tiger barbs or not

Back
Top Bottom