What size heater for a 400litre tank in my garage.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I have a garage that I have converted to a game room and i have a big 400litre african cichlid tank in there. I have two 150w heaters keeping the tank warm but they do not maintain the right heat of 26/27c when I go in there in the morning it is at 24c and both the heaters are set to 35c on full and still can't keep the temperature right. What size heater would I need to keep the tank at a constant temperature. Also the garage is insulted so doesn't get to cold in there.

Is that a 90g?

3 to 5 watts the general rule. But id say a garage even insulated might not be the general rule. I like two heaters in larger tanks like you have.

Getting a heater bigger than whats recommended means it wont work as hard and will hold temps better. It sounds like to me yours are little small. Id want a minimum of 400w.

It would be important to know the temperature of the garage as this will influence the wattage needed to heat the tank.

The lowest the temperature it will get in the air will probably be about 5c

That's pretty cold, if the heaters ever fail than you have dead fish in 24hrs. May want to reconsider the location??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom