what size tank would be best for breeding guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueyedcntrygrl68

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 beautiful male fancy guppies that I want to breed.. Will get 3 or 4 females.. what size tank would be minimum to start them in and how should it be set up?

if you arent going to seperate the fry,id say 20 gllons(there super prolific)with a lot of java moss,hornwort,etc

Thanks... another question.. when it comes to cycling a new tank, can I start it with the water I take out of other established tank to shorten cycle time?

Thanks... another question.. when it comes to cycling a new tank, can I start it with the water I take out of other established tank to shorten cycle time?

It certainly can't hurt since it's coming from a trusted established tank ... but the water really will not do much to speed up the cycle since it's basically devoid of bacteria. There'll be a few floating ... they're really on the surfaces and most are in the substrate, and filter media.

jcolon said:
It certainly can't hurt since it's coming from a trusted established tank ... but the water really will not do much to speed up the cycle since it's basically devoid of bacteria. There'll be a few floating ... they're really on the surfaces and most are in the substrate, and filter media.

I think I said the same thing!!!! Just shorter and less complicated! ;)

blueyedcntrygrl68 said:

Water doesn't do anything for the tank, all it does is bring filth and gunk from one tank to another, what you really want is filter media, decor, and gravel if you want to speed up cycling. Just ask Eco that's what he's always said...

Yea I am going to use old mixed with new gravel.. I have gravel set to the side soaking in aquarium water, out of established tank, was going to get new to add to it.. using decor out of established tank to start with..and just got a new bio wheel filter pump that I have going in my goldfish tank to get good bacteria going in it..

Water doesn't do anything for the tank, all it does is bring filth and gunk from one tank to another, what you really want is filter media, decor, and gravel if you want to speed up cycling. Just ask Eco that's what he's always said...

I am going to mix reused water for half and then clean conditioned water to finish filling it

jetajockey said:
bigger the tank the better. I keep my guppy strains in 15g tanks and 20g tubs.

That's genius! Using tubs for breeding guppies! Would have never thought of that...

I think I am going to get a 20g.. maybe 30.. I have 15g with 8 males in it..might use the small one for the 2 gorgeous males and 3 or 4 females and put the other ones in the bigger tank.. lol..

Yup. There's no such thing as established water. Its just old used water. If you have plenty of new water, then bringing water from one tank to another is the last thing you would want to do.

Take your time cycling your tank and don't take too many things out of your established tank or else you will end up with a mini-cycle with your established tank.

Back
Top Bottom