What small community fish don't need a school?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking for small community fish that can be kept as a single of that species in a community tank. Currently my tank is a 20 gallon long (30x12x12") and I have 10 rummynose tetra, 9 panda corries, and two male guppies. Just looking to maybe add one or two single other fish to add to the group to add some more diversity. If there is any

So what are your thoughts? The only ones I've really heard of that don't need schools are guppies and plecos. Even if you have ideas that are too big for my tank I'm still open to hearing!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Small gouramis come to mind!

Those are weird and colourful fish! I dont think ive seen any nice ones in town here, but maybe ill take a trip to see if they get any. Do they mind lower temperatures? I forgot to mention i keep my tank at 74-75*F for the corries

Possibly a dwarf cichlid of some sort could be added

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Possibly a dwarf cichlid of some sort could be added

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I would love a bolivian ram and know i could keep the water clean for them, however my ph is high here (almost 8) and i havent seen them in stores. I didnt want to go through ordering them in special and having them not be in ideal conditions

Platy fish, endlers, Alison

I could look into platies if they would be fine alone like guppies!

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I've got my Bolivians in water 8.2 ph and they do great

Fishobsessed7

Bolivians are great. But I also love honey gourami. I've had mine 1 male for 2 years now and my bolivans for 6 months. Awesome fish! Bolivans are hardier than you think also.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive heard they do ok too from some online. The store where i live said he wont order them in unless i buy it right out of the bag it comes in lol But that pet store i also dont like for how they keep their tanks and fish so i wouldnt be surprised if it didnt make it in there. The one i prefer is an hour away though so im less likely to wander in to check stock and i havent seen them in there. So i probably wont bother unless i upgrade the tank size like ive been fighting the urge to do :p How much bioload would you say a bolivian takes up in my 20g? Im getting pretty full for sure so id probably have to rehome some if it went in this tank

Well due to your stock you could add possibly a 2 females and a male BR. I personally would go with the HG they are smaller and you could add 2 females and 1 male.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm thinking more towards a platy for now until I upgrade. Is there a way to tell male or female and will a female breed with my male guppies?

No they won't breed with guppies

Males will have a rod shaped anal fin, and females will have a fan shaped anal fin, more similar to non-livebearing fish

Fishobsessed7

Ok thanks for the help guys! If anyone else has suggestions feel free to post them as well!

Cherry barbs (unlike other barbs they don't need to be kept in groups)

Peacock gudgeons

Sparkling gouramis

I like the Bolivian ram idea.

Betta is possible but always up for chance and can change at any time depending on temperament.

Caleb

I was thinking of getting a beta, but hadnt seen any colours id like for sure. Also i do have two male guppies, and although they dont have real flowy fins, i heard thats asking for trouble. Down the road id like to try one, but having to set up a 4th tank on the chance i got a mean one doesnt sit great with me atm lol

Ill check into those other fish now too!

Cherry barbs (unlike other barbs they don't need to be kept in groups)

Peacock gudgeons

Sparkling gouramis

The peacock grudgeons look like theyd be really cool! Not sure if i could get them here though but if i ever do id do it for sure. Sparkling gouramis look pretty shiny, that may be an option for me too if one shows up. Now for the cherry barbs, you say they dont need groups but it seems people say they can get pretty aggresive in small numbers. They would add a pretty dramatic red look to the tank, but ill probably stray away to keep things calm.

I was thinking of getting a beta, but hadnt seen any colours id like for sure. Also i do have two male guppies, and although they dont have real flowy fins, i heard thats asking for trouble. Down the road id like to try one, but having to set up a 4th tank on the chance i got a mean one doesnt sit great with me atm lol

Ill check into those other fish now too!

My daughter's been begging for a betta, but I feel the same way; don't really want a betta bowl and I'm worried we'll get a tempermental one, which is most likely. Luckily, she hasn't seen but one she likes, and that one's not for sale! :D

Back
Top Bottom