What substrate should i use for plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm new to the whole aquarium thing. I have gravel in my tank. I just bought some live plants today and I want to know what I should use so they grow. Gravel? Sand? Dirt? And if dirt, what kind? I think I want to use sand. I like the looks of it. Can someone please help me out so I know what to use? I attached a photo of my tank and I already found out I need to replant the plants. I'll do that as soon as I get new substrate. Maybe tomorrow...

Substrate isn't nearly as important as the amount/quality of lighting and availability of nutrients (nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous) in addition to carbon dioxide. You can use a nutrient poor substrate like pool filter sand of gravel if you dose fertilizers for the plants. Or, you can use a nutrient rich substrate such as ADA Amazonia soil and dose fertilizers occasionally.

bs6749 said:
Substrate isn't nearly as important as the amount/quality of lighting and availability of nutrients (nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous) in addition to carbon dioxide. You can use a nutrient poor substrate like pool filter sand of gravel if you dose fertilizers for the plants. Or, you can use a nutrient rich substrate such as ADA Amazonia soil and dose fertilizers occasionally.

THANK YOU!! What kind of fertilizers do you suggest?

Also- I live in a desert and when I get all of the fine sand removed I get a neat looking rocky mix. How do I make sure there's no weird germs on it if I want to use it in my tank?

I've decided on sand and pebbles from Pebble Beach located o. The Columbia river. I boiled them for 15 minutes and here is the end result. I'll be removing the pink decoration and adding in some driftwood after I get it cleaned up so it has a totally natural look. I am also going to get java moss and a lava rock.

Back
Top Bottom