What temperature is ok to put goldfish outside?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm wondering if it's too early to put the fish back in the pond yet. The lowest temperature where I am now is 12C. I just finished setting up the pond a few days ago so I'm anxious to put the fish in but I don't want them freezing.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Goldfish can live close to freezing temperatures. If your pond is deep enough to prevent freezing at the bottom, I've read that you can let them pass winter outside.

Just make sure your water doesn't freeze over night or outside temps is below freezing. Else, that would make you a frozen fish in the morning...

Goldfish can live close to freezing temperatures. If your pond is deep enough to prevent freezing at the bottom, I've read that you can let them pass winter outside.

Just make sure your water doesn't freeze over night or outside temps is below freezing. Else, that would make you a frozen fish in the morning...

The ponds not going to freeze, I was just worried about the temperature difference from what their use to inside and what I'm putting them in outside. Inside I have their tank at 72F.

They definitely need to be acclimated to their new tank and not just dumped into the pond.

They definitely need to be acclimated to their new tank and not just dumped into the pond.

Don't worry I wasn't planing on just dumping them in. I'll probably acclimate them for 30min because of the big temperature difference.

Don't worry I wasn't planing on just dumping them in. I'll probably acclimate them for 30min because of the big temperature difference.

If it's a really big difference I would go upwards of an hour to be safe.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If it's a really big difference I would go upwards of an hour to be safe.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

The exact temp of the pond is 55F so I will wait an hour like you suggested. The temperature where I am is suppose to rise during the week so I'm not too worried about the temperature staying that low.

I'm sure they will adapt fine. Just 29 degrees is a big bug difference. Just dont want to shock them. Make sure their water is the same as the pond water before releasing.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Are these comets or fancies?

If the pond has only been setup a few days, I honestly would wait a bit until it warms a bit closer to their tank water. This would also allow rain to influence your pond parameters as this will have an impact. Generally, I do not move fish outside until the temp is within 10f degrees of the tank water and then I spend on average 4-6hrs acclimating to pond parameters. Bringing them inside requires substantially longer- minimum of 24hrs acclimation to increased temp and parameters.

This is for expensive fancies though as they have greater difficulty in the changes. My sarassa comets are more flexible and adept at reasonable changes.

In general, goldfish can handle a cool down with greater ease than a warmup but time and patience in the process is to their overall benefit, especially if they have never been outside. And remember, your pond will need to cycle just like a tank but with temps in the 50's, it is going to take quite awhile so keep a close watch on your parameters. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom