what test kits are best for a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That depends on the type of coral you want to grow, but at a minimum I would recommend:

NH4 (important during cycling, not so much after)
NO3
PO4
Alk/KH
Ca
Mg

There are several trace element kits out there too, but most aren't necessary unless you plan to dose or are having specific problems.

well i want to start doin reef with some fish n maybe ill start with the easy stuff but what brand it the best

Agree. The Red Sea Foundaton Pro kit is great for the money.... gives you good, easy to use alk, calc, mag tests. The Red Sea Algae control kit is OK... the nitrate test isn't bad, but the phosphate test can be very difficult to discern between the subtle colors. It's good enough to tell when you're too high & need a pwc, but the lower "borderline" colors can be a real PITA to read. I plan on picking up a Hanna checker for the phos sometime in the near future.

I use redsea pro for all but Po4. For that I use the Hanna checker.

The nitrate test seems far superior than the API kit IMO.

The API kit is great for getting you through your cycle, or if you're going to stick with a FOWLR, but, yeah..... the Red Sea Nitrate is far superior than API if you're going reef.

i sein the hanna too its the hanna better it look a littly complicate. but i think ill stick to the redsea. but thank u guys

Back
Top Bottom