WHAT the??!!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went on vacation for 2 nights. Came back today and checked everyone in the tank.
Everyone looks fine.
Wait - the L052 Pleco under the log looks he has something on his head.
I go get a a flashlight and check to see what it is, and it looks like something is erupting out of his brain. They're 3-4 pinkish lumps, about the size of his eyes, that look to be protruding from the skin. I tried to snap a picture. Definitely does not look normal/good.

He's latched on under the piece of wood (upside down). They are the pink lumps you see. The whitish/gray spot is his eye.

CoreyPleco.JPG

He is still alive but not very responsive (is usually very skiddish, but today did not mind a flashlight in his eye (which appeared to be sort of glazed over - may have been the light though).

Any ideas/suggestions? I've never heard of anything like this.
Thanks.

wow thats odd, maybe it some kind of parasite, I'
m not sure if you can trat plecos with any meds like melafix or primafix, if you can I would use melafix in QT tank for abotu a week or until it heals, then I'd monitor him for about a week after that in the QT tank just top be safe, could be something like body lice that fish get

How is your water? Do you have a QT? I'd QT him with good water quality and melafix. Could be from poor water conditions, various random benign growths, or a bacterial infection.

tropicfishman said:
wow thats odd, maybe it some kind of parasite, I'
m not sure if you can trat plecos with any meds like melafix or primafix, if you can I would use melafix in QT tank for abotu a week or until it heals, then I'd monitor him for about a week after that in the QT tank just top be safe, could be something like body lice that fish get

Just fired up the QT tank before I read this. Unforunately the pet stores are going to be closed right now, but I will QT/medicate his ASAP. Just hope he can make it until tomorrow.

Devilish: water looks good. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, ~20ppm nitrate, Ph in the mid 7's. Tank is a very understocked 45g that I do water changes on every other week. Very clean tank except for some sort of fuzzy looking growth on a piece of driftwood.

Thanks for the responses.

Check the vent area and around the base of its fins to see if blood is pooling up under the skin.

Menagerie - I did not see anything abnormal anywhere else on his body.

Just an update -
I ran out to Meijer, put him the 20gal QT and am treating him with Maracyn Plus, which apparently is an antibiotic for ulcers, fungus and bacterial infections, like Melafix.
He scooted around a bit when I had to catch him in the 45gal, and scooted into a cave in the 20gal (ie. he actually seems to be acting normal).
His eyes are not glazed over, or are not nearly as badly as I thought. I got a pretty good look at him while he was sitting in the 20gal before hiding; there are 3 of these things on his head. They do not appear to be protruding, but rather growing on top.
All of these are good things.

I will keep updating as I'm sure I will have more questions - thanks again for the responses! I like this little guy and really hope he pulls through.

Glad to hear the only sores are on the head--that rules out a particularly nasty infection. I hope Maracyn Plus does the job--we're all pulling for him :D

Update - I've been treating him with Maracyn Plus since I first posted. The lumps receded at first but are still there - one appears to be bleeding.
He developed a bloated belly about a week into treatment and is completely unresponsive. Once I noticed his belly I added some anti-parasite medication (the fizzy dissolving kind). Hasn't seemed to do anything.
He's been in the same place in the tank for several days - belly up, bloated and lumpy, but still hanging on somehow.
I keep doing water changes and adding medications. He's not eating so I'm not sure how much longer this can go on.
Any recommendations? I'm clueless, and I feel bad for the little guy. I have no idea what's wrong with him. It's like he's in a coma. All the other fish from the tank he got sick in appear completely fine.
Thanks.

I'm sorry. :(

I don't know what to say. Those bumps are usually a cause of nothing, but like said can sometimes be a cauuse of bacterial infection. It could be that the meds just aren't getting inside and tackling the infection. Internal infections are best treated from the inside out with medicated foods.

My pleco hangs upside down, in the same exact spot, on the gravel every morning when I turn the lights on. He doesn't hang on to antyhing he just lays there on his back. At first I was worried but he's been fine and I assume he's just sleeping.

Are you sure this isn't what you are seeing?

Devilishturtles said:
My pleco hangs upside down, in the same exact spot, on the gravel every morning when I turn the lights on. He doesn't hang on to antyhing he just lays there on his back. At first I was worried but he's been fine and I assume he's just sleeping.

Are you sure this isn't what you are seeing?

No, he's like this 24/7, and does not look healthy.
Thanks for the input - I would have tried medicated food, but he's a very picky eater (pretty much just eats algae wafers and his wood), I doubt he would have eaten it.
Any suggestions?

you can add liquid/powder meds to your algae wafers. just let them soak in a water bottle with the meds.

Back
Top Bottom