What to breed in a 20 gallon long.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 gallon long and I’m looking for some fun fish to breed. Nothing too difficult, and I’m hoping to have fish where the fry can stay in one tank with the parents. I have hard water but can put driftwood or peat maybe to soften it, but no RO. I thoght about shellies, but they aren’t very popular in this area. I don’t want to breed guppies or platies either!

Let’s hear some ideas!

Doing it in a 20.

Neolaprologus Brichardi breed fairly easily in Hard water.Look them up.Some nice specimens out there.And not GUPPIES either!

That’s true! They’re pretty. cool. Remind me on their size again, will they be alright in a 20?

4 inches max
Once a pair start breeing,they dont stop.But interesting substrate spawners.Great parents as well.In about a year,you may want to trade in a bunch for food or aqua decor..It may become crowded...

Cool! I’ll put those on the list! Yeah, that’s kind of what I wanted to do. I bred peacocks for quite a few years and got out of it, now I just want to breed again for fun and maybe get a little bit of money to help offset the cost of the hobby. Anyone else have fun ideas of fish to breed?

I’ve thought about rams or apistos, but would they breed in hard water okay?

Livebearers don't tend to eat their young.

Endler's are getting increasingly popular and can be bred for specific coloration strains. For responsible breeding, you should make sure to get N class, or in the very least, P class. N is known wild stock. P is assumed wild stock without documentation.

They are small, active, and intelligent like cichlids. They don't exhibit schooling behavior, but are perfectly happy in larger or smaller groups. 3:1 female to male ratio is ideal. They can breed around 2 months old, and females can produce a clutch in about 20 days.

If you have a LFS willing to buy your stock, or sell on AquaBid and the like, Endlers will keep you in business indefinitely.

I have no idea what the hardness needs to be for breeding. There's a member here by the name of coralbandit that breeds Rams and apistos I believe.

Back
Top Bottom