What to breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 75 gallon tank that I was going to use to breed salvinis, But I can't seem to find them anywhere. So my question is this.....
What would be a nice larger cichlid to breed in my 75? I am willing to devote my 37 and my two 10 gallon tanks to the project. I don't want anything too expensive. (Or too cheap(convicts)) I would get 5+ juveniles and let them pair.
Here is what I have so far as a comparison list....
-jack Dempsey
-red devil
-red texas(Lfs sells them for $7!!!!)
-regular Texas
-salvini(can't find them, but their still on the list.)
-red parrot
-Severum
-fire mouth
If you have a cichlid I should consider please add on to the list

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Angelfish would be a fun challenge.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Salvini are better suited to a 6' tank than a 75, male is more likely to kill the female in a 4' tank. Severums are very slow growers, and firemouths are almost as common as convicts. Australoheros oblongum is my favorite SA cichlid. You could raise a good number of fry in a 75.

Salvini are better suited to a 6' tank than a 75, male is more likely to kill the female in a 4' tank. Severums are very slow growers, and firemouths are almost as common as convicts. Australoheros oblongum is my favorite SA cichlid. You could raise a good number of fry in a 75.

They look look like a jack....I can't find much on them? Where could I purchase them?

I am really hesitant on buying online. Although I think it's he only way to buy some of these beauties. Found the Australoheros oblongum on aquabid. I like that they are small but I wanted something a larger. Aquabid has blue gene jacks 6/$30
Is this a good deal?

Blue gene Jacks should produce some electric blue offspring if both parents carry the right gene. Don't know how high or low the price is on them, a pair typically produces 500+, and there's no way to know what genes each fish carries until they breed.
One reason I like Africans is the smaller brood size. Here's a pic of a male yellow rock krib, they're well suited to a 75. Similar colors to Salvini, but need less room and don't produce hundreds of fry to deal with:

I have a dozen grown out to spawning size now, but still showing female/juvie colors.

Try Consolidated Fish Farm. They have excellent stock, prices and customer service. The rainbow cichlids are nice as well.

If you go to Consolidated let them know Craigs Tropicals sent you.

Green terrors are beautiful fish and fairly easy to breed. If not those, I would go with the dempseys

Back
Top Bottom