what to do after a fish dies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samantha_p

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found one of my oldest goldfish(a 5" comet) floating dead after
I got home from work last night.my 2 plecos and my small
blood parrot were taking pieces of him. my question is what should
I do next? should I do a water change,clean my filters or what?:confused::(
I'm also concern for my other fish being that I don't know what
he died of. this is the firs time a fish dies on me since I've
had this 125 gal tank for a lil over a year.(I currently have 4 goldies,5angels,
1bp,1gurami,4platys,2plecos) any advice is always appreciated
thanks;)

i would do a 50% pwc and monitor your fish. If the goldfish looked healthy, i would blame its death on the blood parrot... Those are some pretty incompatable fish you have in there.

I would do a water change just in case, and measure all water parameters to make sure nothing is out of whack.

It would be nice to find out why the comet died. I would examine the fish for any lumps & bumps, etc. Alos look in the gills as well. You might consider doing a dissection to see if there is anything obvious internally. <I know it can be gross .... > the gab has some pics & instructions if you are interested. A vet would also do wet mount of skin & gill scraping to look for parasites. If you have a good microscope, you might try that, although, for a non-biologist, finding anything is rather remote.

If you find nothing on the dead fish, all you can do is to monitor all other fish closely for any signs of disease & treat accordingly. If you find parasites or other things, then you might have to treat the other fish, depending on what you find.

Back
Top Bottom