What to do with 150g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duddits

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I'm hoping my newest tank is a 150g tall. I found a great deal on a 150 tank, stand, canopy, lights and wet/dry filter for $130.00. Yeah, $130.00 awesome deal.

Just curious what you all would say. What should I do with it? Cichlids? If so, what kind? Large fish or community tank?

A better quetsion is what could you NOT do with it! Lol. If I was you, I would do cichlids. You could have jack dempseys or something else cool like that.

Well I'm hoping my newest tank is a 150g tall. I found a great deal on a 150 tank, stand, canopy, lights and wet/dry filter for $130.00. Yeah, $130.00 awesome deal.

Just curious what you all would say. What should I do with it? Cichlids? If so, what kind? Large fish or community tank?

Really awesome deal Duddits.
What should you do with a 150g tank, that cost $130.00? Be happy about it, that's what.
I love Discus, but they can be pricey, at least some of them are.
Aside form them I'm very partial to Angels and Mbunas. Not together of course, but either of them are great.
The Angels have infinite variety and the Mbunas have such amazing colors. The nice thing about the Mbunas is that the females are just as colorful as the males. So you never have to give up color to get the right M:F ratio.
As long as you trade any bullies in for another fish you won't have problem with aggression. Which is why some people won't even try to keep them.
Same with the Angels, just exchange any bullies for another fish until they all get along. Then you'll have these amazing fish and no fighting.

a school of about a zillion black skirt tetras(not actually a zillion,more like 40-50),a rainbow shark,and some other fish i havent thought of yet

You could do A LOT. As in a gazillion options of all different sorts of combinations. If it was me I'd be doing saltwater with that size tank but freshwater there's way too many options to list!

I would do a planted community tank.

I'm looking to do a 150g as well in the future, and I think I'm going to go with an Amazon biotope (angels, peaceful SA cichlids, a school of tetras, hatchetfish, cories, cats, etc. )
The possibilities are endless!

Think i figured out what I want to do. Gorgeous tank and fish in this video of a 150g cichlid tank.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Me? I'd get a good deal of driftwood, some nice rocks, and throw in a few groups of 6 or so neotropical cichlids that stay medium size. Maybe some convicts or other archocentrus, some real ports, maybe skip the convicts and find some cool satanoperca. It's always cool to see smaller sized fish in a big tank - you get to see a lot of interactions you normally would not.

You could even go way cool and get a bunch of curviceps or rams or maybe even apistogramma. Throw in about 100 neons, cardinals, or black neons, and some easy plants.

maybe get some leopard ctenopomas, african brown knife fish, elephant nose,african butterfly fish, and bichir and do an african oddball tank. You could use a bunch of anubias, driftwood, and rock. If you are looking for a more easy to care for fish than the knife and elephant nose, you could get some syno cats. Personally, this is my dream tank. You are so lucky to get such a cheap tank! Best of luck on whatever you choose to do with the tank.

Think i figured out what I want to do. Gorgeous tank and fish in this video of a 150g cichlid tank.

Check out this video on YouTube:

150 gallon Cichlid Tank - YouTube

I think you made a great choice, but I'm biased toward African Cichlids. I think they are some of the most colorful & beautiful fish you can get, without going with a SW tank.
I think you'll really like them. They swim all over the whole tank, not just part of it. They have tons of personality.
It can get tough matching personalities to make sure you have an active but peaceful tank, but it's also part of the fun.
I have a great love of them and have learned a lot about Africans, mostly Mbunas. But for some serious expert advice, type to HUKIT. He's brilliant with a lot Cichlids. He's given me some really good advice, when I've needed it.
If we were to give levels of knowledge, I'd have an AA degree, well on my way to getting my BS degree, HUKIT has his PhD in Cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom