What to do with fry?!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I have a 10 gallon community tank where I foun this one platy fry left so I scooped him out and moved him into a clean cup with purified water. He's been in there for two days and he was swimming around but now he kind of sits and only moves when I tap the cup.

I have a 1 gallon filtered tank that has 2 ghost shrimp and a snail and I want to move him but I'm scared that he would get sucked into the filte or get eaten by the shrimp

What should I do?

Will he get sucked into the filter? He's about 5mm (half a centimeter)

Put some floating hornwort and it should be fine. My Mickey mouse platy had babies and they are hanging out in the hornwort. I have ghost shrimp, snails, platies, tetras, danios. The hornwort is a perfect hiding spot for the babies.

Wait- I misread that. I thought you were putting him in a 10 gal w/ shrimp. I don't know if a 1 gal would be a good idea with the shrimp.

Maybe just put some hornwort in your 10 and let him hide in there?

Or move the shrimp to the 10 and let the fry have the 1 gal. I don't know what other fish you have in the 10 though. Certain fish may eat the shrimp. It's a conundrum. I wish I was more helpful.

Everyone I moved the shrimp out of the 1 gallon and moved my fry into the 1 gallon. I was afraid he'd get sucked up into the filter but he's fine.

Would they usually get sucked in?

I tried vacuuming out fry during a water change to move to my display tank. I was expecting the parents to eat some of them but they don't touch any of them oddly, so I had to move a bunch to my main tank as live snacks. I've since moved all the females out. I wanted to replenish the tanks stock and increase it a little, but they pumped out way too many.

They were able to out-swim the suction of my gravel vacuum, lol. I don't see how one would get pulled into a filter intake unless they were on the verge of death. My shrimpets on the other hand.. I have pre-filters on it for those little buggers.

Zevyn said:
I tried vacuuming out fry during a water change to move to my display tank. I was expecting the parents to eat some of them but they don't touch any of them oddly, so I had to move a bunch to my main tank as live snacks. I've since moved all the females out. I wanted to replenish the tanks stock and increase it a little, but they pumped out way too many.

They were able to out-swim the suction of my gravel vacuum, lol. I don't see how one would get pulled into a filter intake unless they were on the verge of death. My shrimpets on the other hand.. I have pre-filters on it for those little buggers.

I see what you mean. This morning I looked and he actually swam into the filter rod then swam out as if he's trying to scare me to death haha

Back
Top Bottom