What to do with my goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crystalbettas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have one 3 or 4 inch comet goldfish that was originally purchased as a little feeder for my crayfish. unfortunately, the crayfish died before eating the last of his meal. all of the other goldfish eventually died off but i just have this one left. he's been in my tropical community tank for about a year. The tank is roughly about 40 gallons. He gets along well with my other fish, he's the largest in the tank other than my feather-finned catfish.

recently he got sick, which i added a post about. he's in a 10 gallon quarantine tank being treated for a mouth fungus. goldfish are cold water fish and need plenty of room, but i don't know what to do with him. he was the most active fish in my tank and was very healthy until now.

i could just use opinions, should i put him back in my 40 gallon tropical tank once he recovers (if he recovers..) or should i do something else with him? i don't have a pond and i don't have room for another large tank. i'm just not sure where to put him.

IMG_1805.JPG

Why don't you take him to a fish store that sells pond fish and see if they might give you a small store credit for him? Or contact local fish clubs and hobbyists to see if you can find him a home.

as of right now i'm not sure he's going to pull through. he's not doing well, i have to add the second dose of the fungus cure to the quarantine tank today but he's just hanging out at the bottom of the tank barely moving. i'm not really sure what else i can do for him. i can try some type of bacterial infection cure after the treatment i'm giving him is over, but i'm not sure how long he'll live.

as an update, he actually looks a little better now. his mouth doesn't look better per se, but it also doesn't look worse. which is a step in the right direction. he's been more active today than he has been the past few days, so i'm hoping maybe he'll pull through!

Back
Top Bottom