What to do with pH that is "off the charts"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
first off a stable PH is better then a perfect PH so why are you adding buffer... what is you "stable" PH if you do not add the buffer?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't add any buffer to my tanks but I HAVE that brand of pH buffer if I did choose to use it.

My pH is well over 8 w/o any buffer or chemicals or anything

Driftwood and/or peat will bring it down somewhat naturally, and should keep it stable. I'm not sure how often you have to change the peat if you use that.

The best bet to lower PH is peat moss in the filter or ro/di water. The peat moss needs to be replaced and may turn the water yellow.

Ro/di can be mixed with your tap to get the desired PH/KH you are looking for. As long as you do the same mix at every water change things will remain stable.

That being said I would echo JDogg in saying do not mess with the PH unless you have a very good reason for doing so. Such as breeding etc. If your fish are happy and eating then don't worry at it. Chances are the LFS has the same water you do.

IMHO peat and driftwood aren't going to make much of a difference if you're water is well buffered. Add in the fact that you are still using liquid rock for water changes and you won't be doing much. RO/DI is really the best option and the easiest. I have a liquid rock community tank, ph 8.4 to 8.6 range and kH (over 30dH). The fish are doing fine. Only fish I was really worried about were the GBR's but they haven't seemed to mind in the least. Not for sure if they would spawn successfully or live a full life, but they are at least 10 months old at this point. Go with a RO filter if the tank is large. I will be adding one to the mix soon. In my small tanks I use distilled to cut my tap water in my 20 long and 10 g with good results.

my water is liquide rock out of the tap with a PH of 8.4... look at my info to see all the fish and plants i keep int that :D

I would buy a high range pH kit, then the pH would not be off the charts! You would know exactly what it was, then ignore it?

Same here. My water is not quite liquid rock like it was at our last house, but it's close. pH is over 8 most of the time, but dead stable. I tried lowering it a few years ago for the pool but I could drop whole drums of HCl in there and it did zip :)

My guys do fine and I have rainbowfish, gourami, tetra, cory, goldfish in various tanks... I have mixed soft water in with the tetra tank to bring down the kH a lot, but it made no real difference to the pH...

Jchillin said:
Lyquid, you've been keeping SA cichlids for a couple of years in this same water yes? I see no reason to alter your ph unless you are looking to breed them.

Look at crazyred, has bred GBR's successfully in liquid rock without trying, lol. I'm trying to breed them in softer water with less success, lol.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Sometimes I think the people at the LFS like to freak me out because they personally don't think I know whats going on- if that makes any sense.

I figured as long as my pH was stable I was okay, but I was shocked it was that high.

I guess I will leave my pH alone because it doesn't seem to be a problem!

A lot of employees at any pet store, LFS or Chain, think they are God's gift to aquaria. Just keep in mind that all advice you get at pet stores is not always exact or true. I have found these forums to be the best :)

It is easy to lower pH. Use Turface MVP to your tank as substrate, its pH is 6.2. It may lower your water to below 7. It is very cheap, around $10-13 per 50 lb.

My tap water has pH7.0 but with Turface MVP the pH is 6.4 or below. I have to use crushed coral to boost the pH and still get around pH6.6-6.8 -- depends on the amount of crushed coral I put in. I found that if use 10 parts of Turface MVP and 1 part of crushed coral, I do get pH7.2.

Back
Top Bottom