what to do with sprouting Java fern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Java ferns are sprouting new plants all over their leaves... how do I root these and turn them into separate plants?

http://www.aquaworldnet.com/awmag/javaen.htm

That's a good site for java ferns. It says either let it do its own thing and they'll break off and root somewhere, or you can pull them off and tie/plant them somewhere. I've got a few too, but I'm waiting for them to get a bit larger before I do anything with them.

i used to pust the leaf down and let the new plant touch the bottom and hold it there with a little gravel for a few days thenjust trim the plant of an it usually rooted itself. but by pushing the leaf down it made it easier to keep it there compared to trying to plant the little new one by itself. just my 2 cents worth

Having dealt with java fern for a while now I would recommend allowing it to fall off on its own. They appear to grow faster when allowed to stay attached than if separated, so if you are interested in propogating ferns I would keep them attached (though it does look somewhat ugly).

So once it falls (and you hunt it down in your aquarium) do you tie it down somewhere or replant it? Or do you just let it root where it falls and move it once it gets a bit larger?

Once it falls off, you can do anything you would normally do with a plant. If you wait until it falls off it will be large enough that its tough to not see (mine where about 2-3" in size). Tie it down with something, plant it in the substrate, or as I prefer to do in my tank with PFS.....use small quartz stones around the base of the roots. This allows you to get the benefits of it looking planted, as well as the plant getting the proper nutrients. I bought a 50lb bag from Home depot of pink quartz, washed the stones really well and put them in the tank. They look quite nice, are big enough that you won't lose them, and are rough enough that the plants roots can grab on.

you can also staple the brown 'roots' to driftwood, or use fishing line. i wedge mine with big rocks, adn end up with carpets of java ferns.

Back
Top Bottom