What to do with this plant now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a plant a while ago, can't remember what it was called. I put the roots in the sand and moved it only one time. After a few weeks, the roots started growing out of the top of the plant and started sprouting new leaves from the top as well. Not pretty. I was going to move it again today but when I went to pull it up by the roots the plant was no longer attached to the root base.

It does not look nice now at all. I just have the leaves stuck in the sand for the moment until I figure out whether or not I am going to keep the plant. Thought I would post here for an explanation and ideas.

I am not particularly attached to having plants, especially ones that are not looking nice. So if there is not a way to get it growing underground again I may just get rid of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2245.jpg
    IMG_2245.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2244.jpg
    IMG_2244.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 85
thats a java fern, the rhizome (think green part the stem and leave grows out from) needs to be above the substrate, thats why your rotted away. people usually tie them to something like rocks or driftwood.

also whats coming out of the leaves are baby plants, thats how it reproduces

So what do I do with it now? Will it live like this? Do I do something with the baby plants? I am willing to try if I know what to do.

The plant can live just fine with the young plants attached. If you choose you can carefully pull them off and replant them.

im not sure if the mother plants will survive now that the rhizome has rotted away, you can however pluck the baby plants from the leaves and tie them to something, a rock, driftwood, decoration, anything aquarium safe that wont float. you can use plain fishing line or cotton threads to tie the plants with.

There are lots of baby plants. Do they have to be a certain size before plucking them off? Some are over an inch already, some are smaller. Can I tie them all together? After I do that, is there anything else I have to do for them, or just let them grow? Do I have to tie them a certain way? Can they be laid flat on the surface, or do they need to stand up? I have an anubias tied to driftwood and like the look of it, so will probably go for another piece of that for the java fern.

has long has the baby ferns have a rhizome on them (might be very small) then it should be fine, just be delicate, and id tie them to separate spots so once they get bigger they have enough room to grow and dont have to compete with each other.

Java ferns, are probably the most basic plant and dont really need much to grow, just 6-8 hours of light a day and you should be fine. though liquid ferts from seachem wont hurt if you feel like getting into that.

when i tied them i just wrapped my fishing line around the driftwood then around the rhizome of the plant and tied it, pretty simple, some of mine stand up, and others kind lay to the side, though standing up will probably look better so try to go for that.

Back
Top Bottom