What to expect for a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJCRIC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone I just joined in. I have been involved in Fresh water tanks all my life and am just now getting involved with salt, and it is a different ball game... Anyway, I just set up a 125 gal predrilled salt water tank I have a 40 gal long sump tank with a berlin turbo skimmer and a 750gph mag drive pump. I don't have a wet/dry as it seems Live rock is the way to go. I have 384 Watts of PC 10,000K lights. I have put in 100lbs of live rock and 160lbs of sand with 60lbs of agra alive sand on top. The tank is only 2 weeks old so no fish as of yet. The rock I got from the lfs was pretty well cured so when I did some testing yesterday I think I am ready to go. I picked up a few turbo snails, 10 hermits 5 blue leg and 5 red, a coral banded shrimp, and two hawaiian feather dusters yesterday. One feather duster has been out since we brought it home and there is some long stringy brown stuff coming out of it's mouth, I am not sure if it is just waste or a problem? The other feather duster I haven't seen come out yet. He will peek out maybe a half inch then right back in, Is he still in shock from the move or should I take him back to the lfs? The other thing is about two days ago the water started to get a little cloudy I am not sure if this is normal or what? Can you help me and maybe tell me what else to expect while I get this process started. Thanks.

there is some long stringy brown stuff coming out of it's mouth, I am not sure if it is just waste or a problem?

Their mouth is also their well u know. So it could be waste. Do you have a digi cam? If so anyway you could post a photo.

Is he still in shock from the move or should I take him back to the lfs?

Please describe how you acclomated your snails, hermits, shrimp and dusters.

Was the cloudy water a green tint or a white tint? If you look at yoru tank from the side. So your looking long ways thru the water. What shade do you see?

Oh and WELCOME to our COMMUNITY.

It defiantly looks like it could be waste but if it is then it sure is a lot. I will see if I can get a pic of it afer work I just moved my computer at home to make room for the tank so It is not all set up yet. And the cloudiness is more of a white it is not bad looking from the front but from the side it is. Not sure about any other colors. and this started the day before I added anything to the tank. But As far a s accolomating I put the bags right in the top for about 15 min then I added a cup or so of my tank water and let it sit for another 10 or 15 I kept adding about 3 or 4 times them put them in the tank.

But As far a s accolomating I put the bags right in the top for about 15 min then I added a cup or so of my tank water and let it sit for another 10 or 15 I kept adding about 3 or 4 times them put them in the tank.

Sounds like you did ok on the acclimation. Make sure your lights are off during the process also. It helps out on the stress.

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!!

The other thing is about two days ago the water started to get a little cloudy I am not sure if this is normal or what?

The cloudyness from what you describe can be identified as a bacteria bloom which is rather common during the cycling phase. As you stated, the tank has only been running for 2 weeks, which in some cases with the rock and Arrag alive, the cycle period might be shortened, but I don't think within 2 weeks...What are your readings for Ammonia and Nitrites? My guess is that one of them is going to be present. How long are your lights on? You can lessen the bacteria bloom by cutting the lights down to a minimum.

IMO the addition of the FD's was too soon. The tank is not conditioned yet and FD although hardy, do not take to condition swings much... It might be a little early yet to start adding things...JMHO

In addition to what has already been said, the only things I see that need attention are the flow and the lights. The pump is fine, but you're gonna need a little more flow in the tank. 1250 gph is about minimum for a 125 and more is better. My suggestion, currently running on a 180 and working well, would be to get a Natural Wave strip and 3 Maxi Jet 1200's. This will set you back about $120. That will give you enough flow and wave action.
The other thing I'd look at is the lights. You have just enough lighting for inverts that have low light requirements. I'd want to add some actinic though. Even if they were just NO strips, but PC's would be better. I'm guessing you have 4x96w PC's now. I'd add 2 more 96w actinics which would give you 4 1/2 wpg. Then, when it was time to replace bulbs, I'd put 50/50's in place of two of the 10000k bulbs. None of this is critical "has to be done now" stuff...just something to think about. Sounds like you have done your research and are off to a great start. I agree with Timbo that you should let things run for a little while before adding anything else...just to make sure everything is stabilized. Have you tested for calcium and alkalinity? If so, what were the results?
BTW, the bacterial bloom can be set off by something as trivial as putting your hands in the tank...it will burn itself out in a few days most likely. Welcome to the site and we hope to hear more from you.
Logan J

pooping feather duster

kinda look like this? nothing to worry about.

(dont even ask why I have this picture)

Ok thank you all for all the help. To get back to you all If I look at the tank the long way I see mostly yellow. My Ammonia and nitrite were both fine, my Ph a little low and my lfs said the buffer will take care of my Alkalinity. The Lights do have 2 Actinic that I have come on at 11:00am then the 2 whites come on at 12:00pm the whites go off at 10:00pm and they are all off at 11:00 the other thing I was wrong my mag drive is 975gph traveling up 4 feet I get about 600gph out of it and I have 1 powerhead that is 400gph I bought 2 more 526gph powerheads on Ebay and they should be in by the beginning of next week. I guess as far as the cloudyness I should just wait it out.
On another note the feather duster, It does look simular to the pick It is a darker brown and thinner but that just may bee because the pic is blown up. Really it is the other feather duster I am worried about he will come out about a half inch then back in. that's all he's been doing. Thanks for everything.

Back
Top Bottom