What to feed my Clown Trigger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drewbles99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So far my clown trigger has not been real happy with anything besides squid. He will take a bite out of prime reef, angel formula, lifeline, freeze dried krill and plankton, only to spit them out. He will even bite flake but then just spit it out too. No luck with pellets yet. I am not happy just feeding him squid. I have used selcon as a teaser with a bit of success. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

I don’t think you will ever have any success getting it to eat flakes or pellets. Triggers are not omnivores, they only want their meat.

Go to the seafood section of local supermarket and pretty much any marine critter they sell for us to eat will work for the trigger. Since they are ravenous eaters they will sample most anything they can fit in their mouths only to spit it out when they realize it isnt meat. I fed mine mostly shrimp and scallops.

Go to the seafood section of local supermarket and pretty much any marine critter they sell for us to eat will work for the trigger. Since they are ravenous eaters they will sample most anything they can fit in their mouths only to spit it out when they realize it isnt meat. I fed mine mostly shrimp and scallops.
That works too. ive fed mine shrimp and he loves it and its cheaper than getting fish food :wink: triggers have gourmet tastes

My clown trigger pretty much only eats squid as well. I've tried everything, clams, frozen and freeze drilled krill, shrimp, trigger formula, silversides. I've tried them all with and without garlic and he just doesn't seem interested.

jamal-188 said:
My clown trigger pretty much only eats squid as well. I've tried everything, clams, frozen and freeze drilled krill, shrimp, trigger formula, silversides. I've tried them all with and without garlic and he just doesn't seem interested.

How large is your clown trigger and what ocean is it from?

Mine is a medium (4" minus tail) from the indo-pacific region.

I don't know how much a Niger differs from a clown but mine eats anything and everything... he eats any kinda pellet I give him, flake, and brine... He is by no means underfed either but he won't reject a single thing I give him.

Triggers main food is prawn ,you can buy it frozen at the pet store

Triggers main food is prawn ,you can buy it in the pet store, the frozen kind

Try a fresh small clam from your local grocery store
Just pop it open and drop it in and stand back HE HE HE
They will love you :evil: :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom