What to keep with a betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liz_0401

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to set up a 29 gallon heavily planted tank with a betta. I was wondering what tank mates others have kept with bettas? I understand that some bettas never get along with tank mates and will have a back up 10 gallon for the betta in case this would happen. I have only successfully kept a betta with bottom feeders such as cories and plecos in a 10 gallon but he was a very territorial betta and I'd like to give it another try with another betta in a larger tank:)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pygmy corydora

Ghost shrimp- heard these are hard for them to see. Nothing to back that up.

Zebra/leopard danios

Rasboras

Neon/Cardinal tetras

It all depends on how the betta reacts. IMO I wouldn't base a community tank around a betta, that's just me though.

Caleb

Another factor you may want to consider is that the dimensions of the 29g would require a lot of swimming for your betta to reach the surface.

Also, you will need adequate flow in a planted tank and bettas don't do well trying to swim against any current. IMO they do best alone in a smaller, calmer tank.

I had one in my 40b for a bit, and the poor thing couldn't swim fast enough to compete with the other fish during feeding time, and even with minimal current he had a difficult time getting around.

Thanks I will take that into consideration but like I have said I have a backup 10 gallon for the betta should any issues arise.

I would just like to know what others have successfully kept with bettas. I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to keeping fish and I always have a backup tank if needed I just like to know what has worked for others forst before I try it

Here he is resting in the Christmas moss. He stayed there most of the time while I had him in there.

. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438631529.790252.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks I will take that into consideration but like I have said I have a backup 10 gallon for the betta should any issues arise.

I would just like to know what others have successfully kept with bettas. I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to keeping fish and I always have a backup tank if needed I just like to know what has worked for others forst before I try it

Well, in the tank pictured I have angels, Cardinal tetras, a guppy, SAE's and a school of loaches. I never noticed any problems between the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ive kept bettas in many differently stocked community tanks. The key for me, i think, was heavily planted. Heck, i kept a bettain a 150gl discus tank for almost a year. He was happy as can be. Its also very common for them to "lay" in plants such as moss. Im for sure no betta expert or anything at all. But never had problems keeping them with others. I truly think its a case by case thing with them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe not what you're looking for but you could always try a betta sorority. Not sure how many you could fit in a 29 gallon.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would target the more graceful and docile schooling type fish such as rummynose, ember and cardinal tetras (and many other tetras), beckford pencils, and harlequin rasboras, particularly since most of these are more mid dwelling. Personally I'd avoid the manic and hyperactive zebra danios that will spend a lot of time swimming back and forth near the surface, potentially stressing the betta out. Corydoras are always nice additions, as are otocinclus.

I agree with Poppa, you can keep bettas. As long as he has places to hide it wil be OK to add a betta, but only one male or a group of females.

Thanks for all the great advice! I have kept bettas with bottom dwellers only up to this point and they have all LOVED to lay on plants! It's so fun to watch them. I have noticed that some of bettas are super active and would love a 55 gallon all to themselves while others seem to prefer the smaller 10 gallon it all deffinitly will depend on the betta and his temperament which is one thing I love about bettas they all have such a different personality!

I tried zebra danios once with a betta it was in my first tank and had used the danios for a fish in cycle I know I know bad Liz but hey was my first go and the passed through the cycle with flying colors but my betta actually killed them in less then a week! There were many hides and plants some that the betta couldn't even fit in I was shocked...

I was thinking about breeding so maybe I'll possibly keep a male in my 10 gallon anyway and get a group of colorful females for my community tank? Or I could always start off with the male in the 29 until I find a few nice females and move him don't know much about breeding bettas been slowly researching though(:)

I would not recommend breeding bettas, it can get quite nasty for the fish.

In a community tank a really long flowing tail of a Betta can be a taunting treat for fin nippers, so sometimes a shorter finned or Placket type could be a good choice.

I kept my last betta with green rasboras and pygmy cories, no issues.

I kept my betta named Tropy (who has since passed :( ) with neon tetras at one time.

Like others said, small schooling fish without big, colorful, free flowing fins should work fine, depending on the betta's temper. I kept mine with platys and neon tetras and never had any problems.

Back
Top Bottom