What to put in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattsonlyhope

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, 10+ years ago I used to have fish in a 50g tank. I ended up moving around a lot taking the tank with me but not using it. I finally own my own home so I want to get back into this stuff.

The thing is the only room in the house I have space for it is a small room where the heat doesn't work yet so its kinda cold in the low-mid 60s in it when the rest of the house is 68. I don't know how hot it'll get in the summer since it doesn't have AC in there, just a ceiling fan. I'm worried about the temperature changes in that room with slightly drafty windows causing issues with the tank temp. Do you guys think a 50g tank will be affected much or not? If so what would you recommend that I can use the tank for that won't be stressed or effected much by the temps.

Hello, welcome to the forum :)

Would you consider using an in-tank heater? That will take care of the cold. For summer I have had the tank around 82F and occasionally over 86F. It's a 150gal tank so doesn't shift in temp quickly but it will eventually match the room temperature.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. New medication causing me to sleep 24/7. Well the winter is ending here in Cleveland and the heating in that room will be fixed soon now, its just a leaky pipe my house inspector shut off so the pipe can be repaired. The room won't have any AC though except for a ceiling fan any whatever carries over to that room from the window AC in the room attached to it. I have no problems using in water heaters or any other accessories, I just wasn't sure if they could handle the climate changes with the weather. I'm really stumped on what to put in it... 10+ years ago I had an Oscar and Red Devil in it... Now I know that the tank is too small for that so I know I shouldn't do that again but it was awesome watching 2 baby oscar and devils grow up in it until I gave them to better homes instead of moving them with me.

I kinda want to try one of those electric blue cray fish I keep seeing pictures of on a lot of forums.. are they easy\medium to take care of? I don't mind putting in work at all, hell no fish can come anywhere the work required for my 2 german shepherds, lol. If I do do one of the electric blue crash fish can I have more than 1 or should I just have 1 of them and other things with it?

I guess it depends on what the room will get to over summer?

I'm not sure on the crayfish. Here the crayfish I kept were natives so apart from getting out of the tank I didn't have much trouble.

Back
Top Bottom