What tubing is best for CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm in the process of getting a shopping list together for CO2 and was wondering what tubing you all use?

I have a bunch of black silicone tubing I'd like to use from Top Fin but I read that silicone is somewhat permeable to CO2, is that true? I also read that Tygon tubing is best, but its not cheap (from what I see on ebay). Lastly, when I search CO2 proof tubing on ebay, I get one that's reasonably priced that claims to be CO2 proof that's made of clear PVC. Now is that any better than silicone?

I'm a bit confused as to what's best and reasonably priced for a CO2 application.. Please help.

Any tubing that's manufactured specifically to be used with co2 is going to be the best to use. Usually, with co2 tubbing the expensive stuff is made for high pressure use, which you won't need. Just the stuff that sells for around a dollar a foot will be the one to get. You can definitely use silicone or plain airline tubing but it degrades and hardens when exposed to co2 a lot faster than the real stuff. Silicone will loose co2 but not by much at all. It's mostly about durability. You won't save money by using silicone, as you will need to replace it more often. I've used the same black co2 tubing since 2008 and it's still in great shape. No money wasted there. But if you decide to use the tubing you already have it'll probably be fine. Whenever it starts to harden you can decide then if you want to order something different. Must people just use whatever they have on hand or whatever happens to come with their gear.

Thanks for the advice Coralline. I guess for now, I'll use the tubing I have.. Once I notice any degradation in structure, I'll buy the CO2 proof/resistant stuff.

Back
Top Bottom