What type of rainbow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adcoffman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was encouraged to post some pics to find out what type of rainbow I have so I would like to find out! :) here are a couple of pics I could get. I would like as much info as I can get especially about schooling. Thank you!

image-3942085219.jpg

image-505906577.jpg

Thank. I do to! They are actually greenish but we were told they would change as they get older.

They just said they were rainbow fish & that they get more colorful as they get older.

Yes i found it!(the red one is when they get older im guessing):

Melanotaenia fluviatilis - Murray River Rainbowfish

Attachments

• image-188396143.jpg
    image-188396143.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1590719793.jpg
    image-1590719793.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 69
Thanks! Not to second guess but how sure are you? The only reason I ask is because when I was looking I also found a few different ones it could be. I'm no fish expert tho so maybe there is a tell tail sign that I don't see. :)

Ok. Thanks for your help anyway! It's another for me to look closer at!

So my hubby went to get new rainbows from the same store so they would be the same fish tonight. He brought them home & either they are totally different rainbows (store said Australian rainbows) or they are much older because they have much more orange/red color where ours is still only green. Will this cause a problem with my lil guy? He's my fav so I really don't want to loose him!

Hi Adcoffman,
I live in Australia and have rainbows everywhere! There are alot of varieties, so can get confusing. As juveniles or when stressed, its hard to ID them.

Here is a link to a free ebook on Rainbows, written by Adrian Tappin - its one of the best books ive found thats available online. It has a large species list with plenty of pictures, which you may find useful to ID your Rainbows:) Sounds like you got a couple to ID now!

I find Rainbows respond best in a school of 6 or more.

http://peter.unmack.net/tappin/Rainbowfishes.2011.pdf

Hope this helps

Cheers

p.s - the file is rather large (120mb) - try 'right click' then 'save link as'

I have three of these and they look like yours - mine were called Australian Rainbows by the LFS.

I think it's strange that LFS only label them as australian rainbow fish. It's like labeling all tetras, just as 'tetras'. Rainbows are from australia or new guinea.There are many different kinds and can be so so different from each other.

Mumma.of.two said:
I think it's strange that LFS only label them as australian rainbow fish. It's like labeling all tetras, just as 'tetras'. Rainbows are from australia or new guinea.There are many different kinds and can be so so different from each other.

After researching to figure out what mine is, I'd say it's pretty strange too! Seriously, how is one supposed to know how to properly take care of a fish if I'm not even sure what it is? Owell, for now just more Internet research & enjoy them!

After researching to figure out what mine is, I'd say it's pretty strange too! Seriously, how is one supposed to know how to properly take care of a fish if I'm not even sure what it is? Owell, for now just more Internet research & enjoy them!

The females look different from the males aswell:p If you take a closer clearer pic I could try and get an ID from some 'people in the know' over here....

Took a few pics of my Australian Rainbow - do they look like yours? What does not come clearly through in my pics is that both the male and female have a red dot right in front of their gills.

YES! are the bigger ones males? We asked for all Females but idk the girl had any idea! We have 2 larger bodied ones with more color & 2 more slender ones that are more green in the fins still.

Back
Top Bottom