What type of Sailfin Pleco do i own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foshizzle11

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just bought a new Sailfin pleco yesterday and wasn't paying enough attention to ask what type it was. Here is a pic. Hopefully you guys can be helpful! His fin has some damage from other fish at the LFS picking on him.

It should heal up just fine, given none of the fish in our tank bug him.

Next question, we have a smaller, common pleco in the same 90gal tank and have notice it being a little territorial. Is this normal?

Attachments

• image-510817329.jpg
    image-510817329.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 135
  • image-606051068.jpg
    image-606051068.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 184
I believe that is a sailfin leopard pleco.
I have the same pleco.
They can become territorial if they don't have enough space but I don't really know what else could be bothering him/her.

Attachments

• image-190946064.jpg
    image-190946064.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 149
Cool,
Yours seems to have a different pattern then mine.

Mind if I ask how much you paid for it and how big it was when you did?

Cool,
Yours seems to have a different pattern then mine.

Mind if I ask how much you paid for it and how big it was when you did?

It has a bit of a diff patten but same colors and general same pattern.
It was 10$ and was 6 inches when I got it.

Darn, I think we got a little bit ripped off. But we haven't seen too many sailfins around town at this size so it was worth it. We paid $30.

Meese your pleco is different, it is called a gibbiceps or "leopard sailfin." The OPs pleco is actually a gold spot pleco, the L# is L001. The price you paid is right, it's a beaut :)

Also, territorial issues between your plecos will be normal, but it will only increase as they get larger and more hormonal. I suggest rehoming the common, it's worth less and gets larger than the gold spot.

Meese your pleco is different, it is called a gibbiceps or "leopard sailfin." The OPs pleco is actually a gold spot pleco, the L# is L001. The price you paid is right, it's a beaut :) Also, territorial issues between your plecos will be normal, but it will only increase as they get larger and more hormonal. I suggest rehoming the common, it's worth less and gets larger than the gold spot.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

I bought another little pleco today for our 30gal hexagon, it is only about 1.5" long and was called a high fin spotted pleco.

What is the difference between the high fin and sail fin?

Awesome, thanks for the info. I bought another little pleco today for our 30gal hexagon, it is only about 1.5" long and was called a high fin spotted pleco. What is the difference between the high fin and sail fin?

They could both be generic names for the same thing. I'd have to see a picture.

Wow the patterns on those plecos are so cool makes my bristle nose look kinda plain haha. I believe sail fins go all the way down to about where the tail starts and hi fins just have taller dorsals

Attachments

• image-2634973719.jpg
    image-2634973719.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 89
Just bought a new Sailfin pleco yesterday and wasn't paying enough attention to ask what type it was. Here is a pic. Hopefully you guys can be helpful! His fin has some damage from other fish at the LFS picking on him. It should heal up just fine, given none of the fish in our tank bug him. Next question, we have a smaller, common pleco in the same 90gal tank and have notice it being a little territorial. Is this normal?

Gorgeous pattern! Definitely a pretty look!

Yes, it is very nice. We are quite happy with it so far.

There were a couple others that were about $150 that we loved but just too much!

Our prized pleco is a gold nugget named locks. Like Goldie locks! Haha.

Should be some pics in my posts somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom