What type of snapping turte?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaticterror

Aquarium Advice Regular
Found this hatching almost frozen trying to dig into an outdoor pond liner. He has now burrowed himself into the mud of my heated pond. He has 3 rows of spikes and he has "eyelashes". I am afraid of this potentially being an alligator snapper. Someone please help!

Attachments

• 1413251427793.jpg
    1413251427793.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 1413251447201.jpg
    1413251447201.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 135
In all truthfulness, it shouldn't matter whether it's a common or alligator snapper. It is not a good animal to have in a fish tank if you are concerned for your fish. They both eat fish to survive. The biggest difference is going to be how large they get. If you have laws in your state against having them, call a rescue organization to come get it.

Hope this helps

Edit: If I recall correctly, Alligator snappers are only found in the Southeast part of the U.S. If you are in New England, ( or found him there) it should be a common not alligator. Still not a good fish tank turtle ;)

I would talk to you local fish and game or wildlife warden or turtle rescue.

If you don't want a Snapper in your pond, find out how to relocate him legally and safely.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions, and the help.

I am in New England, my neighbor has a history of releasing snappers in my ponds, simply put, and I'm afraid that he may have had a pair of alligator snappers this past year because this little guy looks absolutely nothing like any of the hatchlings I have found in my ponds before.

In order to have him picked up by rescue and rehab (with whom I volunteer) I would have to locate him again because he is now fully buried in the muddy edges of my 400g heated pond.

Do you think he will be ok there until the spring or should I tear up my marginal plants and find him? My ponds are not stocked so I'm not worried about livestock losses in the spring if/ when he emerges. Water temperature stays about 42°F throughout the winter.

what am I doing?

You could call the turtle man. Or just wait til spring, I think he will be alright for now

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

that is a common snapper. If it were an alligator, you would have to release since they are endangered. You can keep the commons though. He will eat all of your fish but when they are tamed they make amazing pets.

that is a common snapper. If it were an alligator, you would have to release since they are endangered. You can keep the commons though. He will eat all of your fish but when they are tamed they make amazing pets.

Thanks limnologist, I hope he is a common, I'm so used to them not having the spiny eyes or back so maybe it's just a variation. Seeing as though I don't stock my ponds with fish (ironically I keep them running for researchers and aquatic rescues) but I may consider throwing a few sunfish in my 500g pond with this little guy if he survives and I can get a good id of common snapper.

what am I doing?

You could call the turtle man. Or just wait til spring, I think he will be alright for now

"LIVE ACTION!!! YEEEEEEEE!!!" I miss that show. He would take care of your problem for a pint of maple syrup.

Thanks limnologist, I hope he is a common, I'm so used to them not having the spiny eyes or back so maybe it's just a variation. Seeing as though I don't stock my ponds with fish (ironically I keep them running for researchers and aquatic rescues) but I may consider throwing a few sunfish in my 500g pond with this little guy if he survives and I can get a good id of common snapper.

what am I doing?

no its just a hatchling, the spikes will flatten out with age. If it were an alligator, he would be lighter colored, more elongated and he would have a much larger head. I used to think the guys looked a lot like alligato snappers (Ive kept six commons and an alligator) but after keeping an actual alligator snapper, its much easier to tell the difference.

FYI the "Turtle Man's" show has been under investigation numerous times for animal abuse.

None of the scenes are real. They use precaptured or drugged animals and closed sets in real locations.

Chasing animals around while yelling so he can catch them by hand is NOT easier on the animals. A few animals it's better to use hands....most animals it's better to be fast and quiet and least stress.

I refuse to watch it ever again.
http://m.motherjones.com/environment/2014/03/animal-abuse-coyote-call-of-the-wildman-animal-planet

Back to the OP's topic...Between the keeled shell and eyelashes it does sound like an Alligator Snapper. http://www.chelydra.org/common_alligator_snapping_turtle.html
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20090526215850AAP6noO

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17220

Your neighbor may be violating several laws. I'd be pissed if someone was illegally releasing non natives !!

Good luck ! I think it's fine buried in the mud. As long as it was a good weight at first, it should survive. Keep an eye out for it and any other illegal dumpees.

I am a past member of Northern California Herpetological Association. Plus I used to manage Reptile stores. I have experience with several exotics, so not just being a softhearted tree hugger [emoji106]

FYI the "Turtle Man's" show has been under investigation numerous times for animal abuse.

None of the scenes are real. They use precaptured or drugged animals and closed sets in real locations.

Chasing animals around while yelling so he can catch them by hand is NOT easier on the animals. A few animals it's better to use hands....most animals it's better to be fast and quiet and least stress.

I refuse to watch it ever again.
How a Coyote Suffered Behind the Scenes at Animal Planet | Mother Jones

Back to the OP's topic...Between the keeled shell and eyelashes it does sound like an Alligator Snapper. Chelydra.org - Difference between Common and Alligator Snapping Turtle
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20090526215850AAP6noO

Field Herp Forum • View topic - alligator snapper baby vs regular snapper baby

Your neighbor may be violating several laws. I'd be pissed if someone was illegally releasing non natives !!

Good luck ! I think it's fine buried in the mud. As long as it was a good weight at first, it should survive. Keep an eye out for it and any other illegal dumpees.

I am a past member of Northern California Herpetological Association. Plus I used to manage Reptile stores. I have experience with several exotics, so not just being a softhearted tree hugger [emoji106]

all young turtles have the keels, he is just too dark, wide and small-headed for me to believe he is an alligator.

I am appalled (turtle man). That so disappoints me. As for my turtle in question, I'll be looking for him this spring and I'll keep an eye on him and the rest of the potential hatchlings in my mud pit, there seems to be more burrows today than there were yesterday and my tadpoles were disturbed. Hopefully it's just a late batch of common snappers seeing that it's not illegal to allow hatchlings to linger around my ponds and IF he is an alligator or I find any other exotics I'll be sure to let fish and game know. I have had no problems in the past with him and his children bringing injured turtles to my very large natural pond but I am concerned now, hopefully it will be for nothing.

Greatly appreciate the personal experiences. Thanks

what am I doing?

Coursair - Thanks for the update on the Turtleman. Disappointing.
Back on topic, near my work we would walk near this pond at lunch and we would see this large snapping turtle from time to time. It looked liked the upper limit size wise for a common snapping turtle. The head was the size of a grapefruit and carapace was 20-24"+ front to back. Width was easily 18". Of course these are estimates because we could only get so close before it would go under. I worked in VA.

Well, I feel horrible for bringing turtle man up now

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Lol, imagine being the turtle man....

I have seen a couple pretty giant common snappers. I remember being a kid and seeing one that was stuck in a drainage tunnel by my childhood house, they had to take down the bridge to get the big guy out.

what am I doing?

We had a guy trying to help unload a Snapper. It was in a covered bucket. The guy took the cover off and turned to ask a question. ...people screamed "LOOK OUT !!!" and the guy just missed getting bitten. He had no idea how quick they can be. Esp if cornered.

I've raised baby turtles, but just in tanks. Lots of snakes, lizards and Tarantulas.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can't tell from the picture which it is, but unless you like watching a turtle tear apart fish with its claws I would recommend a different pet.

Their bites can be nasty towards people too.

Difference is their shell and some other things. Picture for reference.
snapper_vs_alligator.jpg

I kept a baby like that for a few months. They can grow quite large over time. The record weight is 300+ pounds, but they usually average between 35 and 150 pounds. Personally, I think they're really cool. I let mine go because in the long run I wouldn't be able to provide the proper care for it. Unfortunately, it's probably best to let it go. Let nature take its course.

Back
Top Bottom