What would be the best size tank/sump combo to start with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
First off, I work at my LFS and can get any tank under 75g for less than $100 new. I can get everything at list price, so after realizing this, I've decided its time for a reef tank.

I'm looking for the best tank size to start off with under 50g, I'm also planning on getting it predrilled and building my own sump. I'm also planning on building my stand and hood which will house 1-2 250MH fixtures which I already have lying around.

I've pretty much mastered freshwater and I feel its time for something more. I love maintaining tanks, so the increased workload is no problem at all.

The manager/saltwater guy I work with said a 40 breeder wouldnt be a bad idea, but I just wanted to get other's opinions.

I'm gunna need a tank to fit under the display tank as well, so reccomendations are welcome.

Any starter tips would be great as well, such as equipment you really should from the get-go. I'm already looking for protein skimmers and a powerhead or two, but I want to find out what tank I'll be going with first before I finalize those decisisons.

TIA!

i would think that another powerhead would be a good idea. what i mean is at least two. do you have a filter in mind? and another thing that can add up very quickly in price is going to be your live rock. you will need it at the beginning anyways to cycle your tank, but you should plan on the money for that as well. the lighting that you have already will be awesome. that's a good lighting set up for a reef tank. other than that, the only thing that i can think of is for you to always remember that the bigger the saltwater tank the easier it will be. either way, welcome to the saltwater side and good luck. we always like to see new pics.

stevefromga2000 said:
i would think that another powerhead would be a good idea. what i mean is at least two. do you have a filter in mind? and another thing that can add up very quickly in price is going to be your live rock. you will need it at the beginning anyways to cycle your tank, but you should plan on the money for that as well. the lighting that you have already will be awesome. that's a good lighting set up for a reef tank. other than that, the only thing that i can think of is for you to always remember that the bigger the saltwater tank the easier it will be. either way, welcome to the saltwater side and good luck. we always like to see new pics.

I have two powerheads in the budget currently.

For a filter I was thinking a Red Sea Berlin Turbo with the addition of at least 40lbs LR. I can get it at the store I work at for ~$6/lb.

Tank cycle I'm also planning on, but I also have live sand in the budget as well so I hope to minimize any cycle that I get.

I ordered myself a 40 breeder today, and I'm going to get rid of the 4 puffers in my 20L and use it for a sump. 60 gallons total water capacity for a starter tank isnt too bad if you ask me.

Hopefully it should be up and running by mid-next week. Gotta factor lumber into the budget for a stand and hood too, but who needs lunch for the next two weeks anyways? :D

Its definitely a way of life, these aquarium things.

A 40 breeder (36 x 18 x 17) sound’s like a decent size if you are going to concentrate on keeping a reef more then having fish. That size will limit you to around 8”-10” of fish and if your happy with that then great.

exodus said:
I have two powerheads in the budget currently.

For a filter I was thinking a Red Sea Berlin Turbo with the addition of at least 40lbs LR. I can get it at the store I work at for ~$6/lb.

Also to factor into the budget is heaters, thermometer, GFCI, refractometer, salt, chemical tests, ro/di, & QT tank.

Have you thought about the fish/inverts/coral you want to keep yet?

I’d aim for 60-80 lbs of base/lr for your 40 gal to provide enough surface area for biological filtration.

Back
Top Bottom