What would happen if ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm moving in 2 weeks, staying with family for 2 months, then moving again. I have this idea for the transition ...

My first "real" fish tank has been happy for several months now but I'm bored with it, and am intensely fascinated (obsessed) by what I've learned about low-tech heavily planted tanks. I'd appreciate thoughts and suggestions, and will try to keep this short. :cool:

Tank is a Marineland 29 gallon LED kit (low light).

1. Rehome all my fish and move the empty tank. Stick the filter media in the fridge, keep the substrate wet.

2. Add some ADA Amazonia to the current substrate (a mix of aquarium sand, larger sized aquarium gravel, Malaysian Trumpet Snails, lots of bacteria, and a little fish mulm). OR, do dirt under the sand. You tell me. :confused:

3. Scrape the black paint off the back of the tank, add some LED strip lights (recommendations appreciated), to help with the current low light level. The aquarium will spend 2 months in room with a lot of indirect sunlight.

4. Plant a lot of low-medium light plants, including existing crypts, java fern, and anubias. Probably change out the decor - I **love** the centerpiece item because of its shape but the paint is already chipping off (power head, I think).

5. Grow everything emersed for 2 months. Then move again, cycle the tank again, then add fish slowly.

Aquarium Shot.jpg

I just had a disaster with ADA aqua soil plus my existing substrate, what if I just add some echo complete? Or leave the substrate as is, use root tabs, and plant it like crazy?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I apparently misunderstood some advice and mixed ADA aqua soil with sand and gravel. It seems to have rubbed the AS too much and made a horrible dust that wouldn't clear. I tossed it and redid the tank with AS under sand, the way the local LFS had in some tanks.

I wasn't able to rehome the fish, so I'm instead going to get a lot of plants and some Eco complete and plant it when I move on Sunday. Wish me luck!!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom