What's a good hood for 20g planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am starting a new tank (20 gallon) which I will plant. It is located near a window with direct sunlight. It currently has a single F15T8 on it. What would be a good hood to start looking at for growing plants?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

20 tall or long? Natural light usually promotes rampant algae growth, I can speak to that from experience! What types of plants? How involved do you want to get with ferts and all that jazz?

I should have mentioned the curtains in the window...

I am still experimenting with planted tanks including plants in a window (between glass and curtains). I have API Leaf Zone but thus far there seems to be enough nutrients in my well water without adding anything.

I have also thought about converting this lid I have to incandescent and using 4 or 5 10 watt CFLs (up to 25 watts each). That should give me the 2 watts per gallon of fluorescent lighting to start growing plants well.

I am also considering cannibalizing a track light that takes two 40 watt LTT fluorescents. Which way do you expect to be brightest? Also, does anyone know if there are any grow or aquarium oriented LTT bulbs out there? I would also like to find a couple LTT/BL (bugzapper type) bulbs and maybe an Acintic bulb.

I killed my T8 in my hood. So far dual 40 watt LTTs seem respectable.

Back
Top Bottom