whats an air stone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An air stone is a porous rock that adds extra oxygen into the water, you don't need it but I like them because I love bubbles;)

It a porous stone connected to a hose and airpump. Many ornaments come with them and many use it for the aesthetic look of a wall of air-bubbles.
More importantly it promotes gas exchange (oxygen in, CO2 out etc) by agitating the surface. The bubbles themselves don't directly add oxygen ... it's not like they burst (although a couple do).

IMO it's very useful in a tank. If your filter were to crap out while your away an airstone can help keep oxygen going into the tank .. though it's no substitute for a quality filter.

They are a great way to aerate a tank. The bubbles increase flow but do also actively aerate the water as well (every bubble is a sphere of surface area, surface area=gas exchange). IMO they are a good thing to have on any freshwater tank. If the filter ever stops for some reason (which does happen) one air stone alone could save your entire stock).

They are a great way to aerate a tank. The bubbles increase flow but do also actively aerate the water as well (every bubble is a sphere of surface area, surface area=gas exchange). IMO they are a good thing to have on any freshwater tank. If the filter ever stops for some reason (which does happen) one air stone alone could save your entire stock).
i will definitly get one then :) thanks!

Back
Top Bottom