What's Better? Bio Wheel or Trickle Filter with Bio-Balls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiselchst

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is better for an under cabinet filter - the larger MarineLand bio-wheel, or a wet/dry trickle filter with bio-balls?

I plan to add one of them to a 100 gallon tank that already has (2) Emperor 400's (I want overkill). Is that enough aeration?

It will be used as a Q-Tank for my pond.

Thanks,
Mitch

Bio-wheels (with the exception of canister filters with biowheels, like the Magnum 350) are always hang-on-the-back filters. For an under-cabinet set-up, you're best off with an overflow (in tank) with sump (in cabinet, with bioballs).

My bad. I've never seen that model before! I would still go with the more traditional bio-ball set-up. IMO, those have a great deal more surface area than the biowheel.

Thanks,

Appreciate the info. I like them better (bio balls), and they would seem to better O2 saturate the water. Am I all wrong here?

Mitch

No, I think you're right. The cascading water certainly seems to aerate the tank better in a bio-ball setup.

Just picked one up at eBay. Sized for a 200 gallon tank (6 gallons of media included). That with the 2 Emperor 400's should do it... :mrgreen: for my 100 gal.

Mitch

Just a thought, I have lots of blackouts in the summer where I am and a biowheel has the potential to dry out. I've got an emperor but I toss so floss in the extra media basket to build up the yummy bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom