What's harmful and what isn't

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

princess lady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everybody
I just recently got myself a microscope to help identify what has been killing off my fish for many months now. Just let everybody know that it is not water quality or any other basic thing that could go wrong in causing disease I have been fish keeping for about 12 yrs now. I know there is something killing off my fish but what ever it is either came in on some new cardinals tetras or a snail or live java moss. Anyway I have found so many things in my tanks that I'm not sure what is harmful to fish and what isn't. I have tried to research them but still not sure because I know there is something in there that is not good. Here is a list of things I have found and from looking on the net I got some kind of idea what they are:
Aeolosomas
Nematode Worms or Roundworms
Vorticella
Anisonema of some kind
Rotarias of some kind
Heliozoas
Amoebas of some kind
Ciliates of some kind

Does anyone know if any of these can be harmful to fish? I had no idea that so many things lives in an aquarium that we cannot see but I will tell you this I will never suck a hose again to get the water started from my tank again!! Ewwww..
Any help would be greatly appreciate.

I don't think the round worms are good for any living thing ppl animals or fish
They are parasites thus living off of another living thing with so benefit in return

Hope that helps

I don't think the round worms are good for any living thing ppl animals or fish
They are parasites thus living off of another living thing with so benefit in return

Hope that helps

I have treated them with parasite medicines but nothing helped so I'm leaning towards treated them for nematodes but I'm really needing to correctly diagnose them no more meds until I know for sure. Because I only know of one medicine that is used for nematodes and that would be Levamisol and I do not want to put them through that unless I know for sure. I have researched the nematode roundworms but haven't found out much but hopefully someone will be able to help. I wish I could put up some videos but I didn't buy that with the scope that will be my next purchase when I get the money. (y)
Thanks for your input :D

Maybe qt tank for the fish while u treat the tank but then again the parasites may be in the fish
Hypo salinity maybe will kill like it would for ick?

Nematodes/roundworms are the only thing listed that may cause harm. The rest are a mix of harmless microorganisms (amoebas, protozoa, flagellates, etc) that you can expect to see in a fw environment.

Maybe qt tank for the fish while u treat the tank but then again the parasites may be in the fish
Hypo salinity maybe will kill like it would for ick?

I have some fish in the quarantine already, the ones that are pretty bad. But the main tank is still having problems to. Still trying to find the problem.
I think hypo salinity is only for marine ick I don't think that would do anything for freshwater disease of course I know I don't have ick, I could be wrong on the hypo salinity because I have never used it but I have heard of it.

Nematodes/roundworms are the only thing listed that may cause harm. The rest are a mix of harmless microorganisms (amoebas, protozoa, flagellates, etc) that you can expect to see in a fw environment.

That is what I thought to and I still have something going on with roundworms or leeches not sure which yet. When my platy died yesterday I took him out and done a scrap down both sides and the gills I know I need to clip a peace off the gills but I have never done that before and they where so tiny. I'm thinking of tomorrow cutting him open to see if I see anything.
But when I done the scrape the odd thing is the only thing I saw was 4 of those rotarias on the fish itself which mine are the bdelloids rotifers but mine have reddish orange eyes and they look wicked and where doing something to fish and it didn't look friendly to me I also saw like little holes with like a black outline around the holes...Hummmm

I will try again to post a picture but couldn't get it to work yesterday. I uploaded the picture to my album on here but haven't figured out yet how to upload it to my post.

I think I got more then one thing going on because on my cardinal tetras I have been seeing white worms on the body of the fish you can see them with the naked eye and when I looked at them under the microscope they look like the white worms or some kind of leech. This is driving me crazy.
I sure hope I find the problem soon my poor little fishes....

Attachments

• bdelloid rotifer.jpg
    bdelloid rotifer.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I would cut him open and do a test because an outside scrape wouldn't give u an accurate idea of what the fish may be carrying ie parasites

Back
Top Bottom