What's in your Aquaclear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Russ359

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
All,

I have a Aquaclear 70. I have read all over this forum different ideas of what to put in, two sponges, no carbon, two bio max, Fluval biomax etc. Wanted to know what everyone has in their filters and how they are doing keeping their tanks clean and healthy.

Russ359 said:
All,

I have a Aquaclear 70. I have read all over this forum different ideas of what to put in, two sponges, no carbon, two bio max, Fluval biomax etc. Wanted to know what everyone has in their filters and how they are doing keeping their tanks clean and healthy.

I run a fx5 and the AC 119 just for filter floss or polishing pads and a sponge. Mostly have it just incase something fails or if I need to add a media bag with carbon, crushed coral etc... Just a lot of options and I don't have to break down the fx5.

I am new to the fishy world. I am running two aquaclear 110s on my 90 gallon. had it up and running since jan 21.

I have just the foam insert on the bottom, then some extra active filter from angelsplus stuffed on top of that and then biomax on top. seems to be working fine so far...

Filter Media

All,

Hello Russ...

I use pads from HBH in my ACs. There are different kinds depending on individual tank conditions. There's polyfiber, carbon (not really needed if you do large, weekly water changes), phosphate, and ammonia pads. They're really dense and filter out the smallest particles of plant and fish material, so the tank water is always crystal clear.

Pretty simple.

B

I have an aquaclear 70 stuffed with the sponge and two layers of quilter's batting on top of the sponge.

Aquaclear with 2 sponges on the bottom and the Bio-Max on top, no carbon. My thoughts I can change out one sponge at a time and keep a dirty one to seed the new one when it's time to change the filters it they start falling apart.

thanks, so two sponges rather than one sponge and two bio-max? Is the Fluval bio-max better than the aquaclear or is it about the same?
I have read that the carbon is a waste unless there is a specific reason to use for a short period of time

I also have the AC70 and just have the 2 sponges on the bottom and the bio-max on top. From what I was told the carbon isn't really needed inless you are taking out meds. Just make sure to do frequent water changes

Back
Top Bottom