Whats the BEST 10g HOB filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to own two penguins and and emperor from marineland until they all took a crap on me. Now I have Aquaclears on two of my tanks and a Regent on one, and so far I have had no problems with them.

IME, I'm pretty sure there is more biological capacity on AC than penguins anyways.

afishyonados said:
If the nitrifying bacteria use oxygen as a catalyst to break down waste... Is there more oxygen submerged (AC etc.) or in the air (Bio-wheel)? The concept is similar to comparing a trickle filter's biological capacity with a cannister filter's. One is submerged= less effective.

The original question did not state the full intentions for the desired filter. All can be manipulated to be functional. Some may just be better in specific applications...

And not all of AC biological media has to be submerged. I position mine so that half of it is in water and half of it is in the air.

Who knows, the AC biological media looks like it could even support anaerobic bacteria in the pockets of the porous cylinders.

My comment that it was a gimmick meant that your tank will operate without it. It's nothing but a "hey im shiny and I move, buy me" type thing. Yes, it holds some of the nitrifying bacteria, just like ceramic media, just like the walls of your tank, just like your substrate, just like any decorations in your tank, and just like any other submerged surface. It's unnecessary, and imo can subject your tank to mini-cycles when it stops moving as observed by others in this thread.

My reason for recommending the AC over the Marineland is due to media flexibility and the option to adjust the filter flowrate. I've owned both, and I don't care for the fact that with a Marineland biowheel filter I'm stuck using their media inserts which force me into using carbon. I currently use the Aquaclear, and while it is slightly noisier in operation (than a penguin without a biowheel running), I like the media flexibility that I have with it.

1) The biowheel is not a gimmick. It does work. The biologist who claims it doesn't work by stating figures about the amount of bacteria or whatever on the biowheel is simply trumped by the fact that those of us who have used it see excellent results and also see what happens when the biowheel is removed. It is effective.

2) Its not the only way to provide bio-filtration on a powerfilter and the AC filters also work well. They provide surface area differently than the biowheel does.

The biowheel does do a great job of aerating the tank as well. I think both are entirely suitable and it just comes down to personal preference. I happen to like the spinning of the wheel :)

I guess maybe I should better define myself. It is a marketing gimmick. It’s something to set itself apart from other filters. Yes, it does provide biological filtration. Yes, a tank works perfectly fine without it. The biowheel ceasing to turn is like removing ceramic media or large amounts of substrate.

It adds moving parts to a filter when none are needed, and as previous posters have stated it does sometimes stop moving which results in an adverse effect on your biological filtration. Moving parts break (aka stop moving). I’m an engineer, and as much as we engineers like to go about things the hard way (Go Rube Goldberg!), I tend to operate on the KISS principle. If you don’t need it, don’t add it.

Things that work passively are greatly preferred in the engineering world to things that require movement to perform their function. There are passive designs that provide the same biological filtration as the biowheel. People (all of us) like to see things moving. That way we know it's working. No one likes to look at a lump of rocks and say "wow, look at all that filtration". I'm fine with agreeing to disagree here. I still think it's a marketing gimmick.

Gimmick is usually used in a negative connotation but yes, as you describe it, its a gimmick. Which of course doesn't mean its bad since it does work. I'd say that the Marineland filters wouldn't function properly without it so in this case you can't really remove it and get adequate biofiltration since its integral to the filter's design.

Yeah, I understand the KISS idea. My one reason for buying into the bio-wheel on fish only tanks is that I do like the idea of increased air exposure like a wet/dry filter.

I agree with JRagg, he isn't saying it doesn't provide biological filtration. It does work, as multiple people attest to. The problem lies in that it can cause more harm then good since it isn't required and can fail.

It is a marketing gimmick, the only reason it was added was to sell more units. They wanted everyone to say "hey look! this has a amazing feature that will improve my aquarium!" when it really doesn't and can actually hurt the aquarium if it fails. Assuming the bio-wheel never failed there would be no difference between an aquarium with the bio-wheel and one without it (in regard to the bio filtration). The fact that it does fail makes it worse IMO.

Back on topic, I have used several different HOB filters. I currently have a penguin on my 10g with the bio-wheel removed (injecting CO2). I love the thing as it is quiet and has a good amount of water movement. Honestly, I would suggest taking a look around and seeing what one makes the most sense to you. I like most of the filters I have tried for different reasons and most perform about the same. It really comes down to personal preference in the end.

I definitely agree with that, there are no reasons to have the bio-wheel, but at least two negatives. You shouldn't use it with CO2 due to outgassing, and when it fails it causes a mini cycle. To me that sounds like a gimmick, but apparently everyone's definition is different.

aquarious said:
Personaly, I avoid Bio-Wheels. Not because they are a gimmick or anything, but because I figure the more moving parts something has, the more likely something can go wrong.

Nothing wrong with that logic, but the only complaint I usually see with Bio-Wheels is the wheel stopping and needing cleaned up a little. I've seen a lot of comments where AC filters actually start leaking around the motor.

If I had to make a decision, I'd say the AC is a better filter, but the AC and Bio-Wheel are very different filters that both do OK. If you like some splashing/agitation, a cute little water wheel, and a filter that doesn't stick out very far from the back of the tank, get the Bio-Wheel. If you like a quiet, simple box with customizable media and adjustable flow, get the AC.

Back
Top Bottom