What's the best fish to have alone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends. Not particularly, but 2 species are a bit more shy. I have ask siva which one is bolder. Also, the pygmaeus tend to hover around rather than just stick to the bottom. I will PM her though to get your answer. :)

Ok, thanks for everything.

I have a dwarf gourami in a community tank. I really, really love that little fish! Also in the tank are 5 black mollies, 5 zebra danios and 2 guppies. The gourami only chases the others if they swim within about a half inch of him, so they don't really get chased much. And I've NEVER seen him actually bite anyone.

I really do recommend a dwarf gourami, I think they're great fish.

It's not that I don't believe you. I really do. It's just that I see with my own eyes the fish are doing very well.

While we may believe that a fish is doing well, you'd be amazed at the difference you'd see if those fish were kept in a proper school.

I'm just going to give a huge +1 to the advice given by absoluteangel. It doesn't get more solid than that.

Pygmys should have a minimum of 3 in their school, but the more the merrier.

Yep, the pygmies do better in schools. Habrosus is the least shy pygmy species. With these guys, I recommend at least 3-4, but 6 is better! The other 2 tiny cory species I mentioned tend to be shyer, but I am guessing they would be ok since you just have guppies which are not exactly menacing or large. But, I am not positive.

Would any of these in any shape or form workout in a 10g ?
Electric blue hapaki

Labidachromis

T. DUBOLSI

Albino cory

Gold white cloudd

Black mollies

Otocinclus cats

Rummy nose

German blue rams

Would 3 guppies, 6 rummy nose tetras, and 2 Oto cats be overstocked for a 10G

hpNYR said:
Would 3 guppies, 6 rummy nose tetras, and 2 Oto cats be overstocked for a 10G

IMO I would bump it to three oto cats. I would add them after the tank has been cycled and established for a few months. Also, if you have male and female guppies, they'll breed like CRAZY and I don't think any of those fish are big enough to eat the thousands of fry.

Careful with rummies. Used to love them. Now after 30 bucks spent on them and several ich break outs, fis h on my #1 hate list.

Regarding that list, the only fish suitable for a 10g on there would be a pair of otos IMO. I do not specificlyknow about the white clouds, so I will leave that to somebody else to comment on. But, everything else is too big/active/messy to thrive in a 10g IMO. :)
Yes, 3 guppies and 6 rummies and 2 otos would be overstocked IMO. I don't think rummies should be in a 10g. A member here named Flossie has some in 10g and it has been a bit of a nightmare. She is looking at moving them out. :)

@bruins, I do not recommend 3 otos in a 10g at all. Many people do not even agree with me about 2. But, IMO, there is just not sufficient space for 3. I keep 3 in a 10, I have tried 3, but speaking from experience, I don't think its a good idea. :)

IMO I would bump it to three oto cats. I would add them after the tank has been cycled and established for a few months. Also, if you have male and female guppies, they'll breed like CRAZY and I don't think any of those fish are big enough to eat the thousands of fry.

Careful with rummies. Used to love them. Now after 30 bucks spent on them and several ich break outs, fis h on my #1 hate list.
Is there something colorful that you'd reccomend me to replace the rummy's with?

Right now I have 3 guppies. I have 2 golden pristellas but I will rehouse those.

Help me finish the rest of my stock with as much color as possible and the 3 otos.

Did you look up the species I listed? Some of those are really colorful. Other people gave you some more really colorful options too. :) But honestly, its hard to get much more colorful than a male fancy guppy. :)

Did you look up the species I listed? Some of those are really colorful. Other people gave you some more really colorful options too. :) But honestly, its hard to get much more colorful than a male fancy guppy. :)

Of course :) im weighing all my options. Whats your take on glofish?

I gottcha. :) Thats always a good idea.
Glofish are just modified zebra danios. They are REALLY active and should be in at least a 20g long IMO. :)
For your tank, I still think neons or green neons or embers would be a really good idea for colorful schoolers. :) Some people disagree about neons in a 10g, but I personally have not seen an issue with it. But, its up to you. :)

So 3 guppies, 6 neons ....room for anything else you think?

Depends on the filter you have. Honestly, not really. I would suggest a nerite snail or 2 and perhaps some ghost shrimp. :) The fish may eat the shrimp, but ghosties are cheap so you will not be in debt if it doesn't work out.

Yeah, I have heard a lot of people say trios are best. But, both jeta and I have kept pairs in a 10g without an problems. I have also kept trios in my 40g and I saw no behavioral differences betweem the 2 environments. :)

So this is what I'm leaning towards doing.

First, rehoming the 2 golden pristella's

Looking to get 4 guppies, and 5 neon tetras

OR

3 guppies, 1 gourami, and 5 neon tetras

I think that might be a little full...
I would stick with 3 guppies and 6 neons. If you want the dg, I would ditch the neons.
You can always stock the guppies and neons, let it sit for awhile, and then decide of you think there is space/filter capacity for the dg. :) Besides, since dg can be a little territorial, they should be added last anyway. Or you could start with the neons/3 guppies and see about adding another guppy. :) Its easier to add fish than it is to re-home fish if something doesn't work.

I would love to have the dg, however I've heard people who've had bad experiences with dg's chasing other fish. Would they be good with guppies..

Back
Top Bottom