Whats the difference of PC and MH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you mean hy do people have both in the same tank it is because the pcs come in actinic and supplement the halides in the blue spectrum

yes that's correct. MH lamps have a red spectrum, HPS lamps have a blue spectrum and PC lights come a many different spectrums. hps and mh lamps are commonly used as street lamps hps ones are the ones you see with the orange glow and mh are the whiter bluer ones. I might have the spectrum mixed up but thats the deal!. Plus metal halides use a lot of power and get real hot.

dela

One of the athetic things is that since the MH bulbs have all hteir light originating from a point vs having the light emit from a 2' or 3' lenght the intensity is greater and you get a very nice rippling effect when looking at the tank.

MH bulbs should be placed so they are 2' apart. If you have a 4' tank you should shoot for 2 MH bulbs, etc.

PC is a florecent bulb so the entire bulb lenght emits light. The total amount of light might be simular but the intensity is usually consitered lower since the light is spread out over a larger area.

I got my MH yesterday and run right down to the LFS for SPS.. I now have no room on the top of my tank.. The lights are hanging over. Am I getting it right from about that if I have MH I really dont need the PC other then for color???

Correcdt. The pc are pretty much for actinic supplementation at this point. Althought not needed any extra light in the tank will help your corals grow!! How's the temp with the new lights?

I dont really know if it will spike the temp or not just yet. I have only had it on a few times & for only 2 hours each time. I picked up a timer today at the local hardware store so after this weekend I will have a better idea. Do you also sell tanks?? I found one yesterday at the LFS and if you can get the same one I will order thru you.. Let me know via private message as I sure no one else cares...

Back
Top Bottom