what's the point of chemicals in out tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tabbs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just for fun I tested the water we drink and it's the same as my tank water minus the chemicals. Mind you I would need to add salt to bring it up to 100-200 for my guppies but why should I add this stuff if it's not needed?

Also title: *our not out

Hi. First thing, I wouldn't suggest bringing salt up for guppies, they are freshwater fish.

Prime is a dechlorinator, it's meant to remove chlorine and chloramine. Stability is a bacteria booster, while it's effectiveness is debatable, it's marketed purpose is to help establish the biofilter (this happens naturally over time regardless). Clarity is a flocculant that basically clumps small particles together so they can be filtered out. It's purpose is to clear the water of small particulate matter that may cloud it.

So no need for stability or clarity? Just prime with my water changes from now on. Maybe this is why my guppies are all dying one by one :(

So no need for stability or clarity? Just prime with my water changes from now on. Maybe this is why my guppies are all dying one by one :(

IMHO that's all you need. The less chemicals added the better. I just use Prime, nothing else.

Hmm ok. But won't that stress my other good females out with not adding the other stuff?

Agree with Convict, all you need is Prime.
With a consistent and frequent enough water change schedule, you should't need Clarity, as your water should keep itself pretty clean and clear.
Stability is not a bad thing to have on hand, and to use when you add new fish, or medicate your tank, or anything that may cause your tank to have a mini-cycle. Again, the effectiveness of this product can be debatable, but I do have it, and use it as directed when starting a new tank, adding fish, etc, but the need to use it with standard weekly water changes is just a waste of money.
Good luck with your guppies, they are beautiful little fish, but I have never had much luck with them either. I gave up on trying to keep them with my community tank.

The other 'stuff' does nothing for stress. Your fish shouldn't be getting stressed....

I hear all these things about fish getting stressed. Mine are pretty happy but have lost a few due to a had buy from a pet store :(

Agree with Convict, all you need is Prime.
With a consistent and frequent enough water change schedule, you should't need Clarity, as your water should keep itself pretty clean and clear.
Stability is not a bad thing to have on hand, and to use when you add new fish, or medicate your tank, or anything that may cause your tank to have a mini-cycle. Again, the effectiveness of this product can be debatable, but I do have it, and use it as directed when starting a new tank, adding fish, etc, but the need to use it with standard weekly water changes is just a waste of money.
Good luck with your guppies, they are beautiful little fish, but I have never had much luck with them either. I gave up on trying to keep them with my community tank.
Thanks so much I hope I go well with them otherwise it's onto other fish that agree with me lol

Back
Top Bottom