What's the point of keeping a nano tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Mannnn... advice to all new beginners here. WARNING!!! Don't get a nano tank and get at least a 55g instead.

I mean... this hobby is addicting. I started out 1 year ago with a 4.5g Two months down the track I couldn't stand on the size and set up another 20g high. Then 6 months down the track I, again couldn't stand on the size and finally got a 132g 6 footer. Upgrading like this cost lots of $$$. You will need to keep upgrading your gear and stuffs too not just the tank alone.

So my advice is: Get a bigger tank as you could possibly afford. That will save you some $$$.

The reason I started a nano tank 1 year ago? Was because I was worried that since I have got no experience in aquarium prior to that at all hence was just experimenting. I have got no dramas at all keeping the 4.5g (and tank with that size is extremely hard to keep) therefore it just boast my confidence and decided to upgrade.

IMO, most nano tank owners already have bigger tanks :) Once you have one you want more.

We keep trying to tell them but they wont listen. I`ve always said IMO always start with at least a 55 gallon tank. Then go with a nano if you want. The bigger the better.

Problem with a 55 is that some of us actually don't have the money for it....I have a 10 gallon FOWLR and that's all I'm gonna have for a while, since I'm in grad school and barely have enough money to scrape by. I do agree that a larger tank is easier to balance and offers more choices for livestock but I'd rather have my 10 gallon than nothing! No way I could have afforded the lights, equipment and LR for a 55 gallon.

BTW I'm a newbie to SW but not to freshwater, and am also a biologist and nutrient chemist.....so for a "real" newbie I also agree a bigger tank is better.

I think nanos are cool. But we do always atleast make sure someone knows that they are a lot harder to keep. It can be done. Swing by nano-reef.com and check out some of those tanks...some of those can blow a big tank out of the water.

Size is also a limitation, as are costs. I don't think its fair to say nanos cannot be done by newbies to sw. Harder, much harder yes. Not impossible.

I have a nano and a 37 gal reef....I still like my nano better!

I like to do it because it is harder....that is the same reson I am a tournament winning fly fishing flats guide....if I wanted to make it easy I would just use spinning rods!

I would advise anyone who wants a nano to get one, you will end up with a bigger tank anyway, but no reason why you cant have multiple tank!

I also love hearing when people say "They are so much harder, dont try one blah blah blah"........Puts a big smile on my face when people see my tank and have to spend 20 minutes looking at a 10 gal tank just to see everything! 8)

have to spend 20 minutes looking at a 10 gal tank just to see everything!

Yeah, I'm still finding stuff in my 10 gallon too!

Someday I will set up a larger SW tank, probably will convert my 55 to SW and get a bigger FW planted tank....but that's goign to wait until my thesis is done and I don't live in a teeny apartment!

SeeDemTails said:
Puts a big smile on my face when people see my tank and have to spend 20 minutes looking at a 10 gal tank just to see everything! 8)

Stop talking and show me. :wink: I want to see some pics

I think I'm going to set up a nano tank, but it's going to be more of a fuge to my 125. I basically want to run my 125 and the 55 gallon sump, and then have another 20 gallon set up next to it with a clown/anemone tank tied into to.

I didn't find my 20 gallon tank to be that difficult. I did 20 gallons for my first tank because I could not afford the cost of the live rock and such for a larger tank. This is an experiment for me....a launching pad. If this goes well, I will upgrade.

I started with a 10g, then went to a 29g, 55g, and finally my 150g. I didn't have a lot of resources when I first started so I learned a lot by trial and error. Fortunately for I had the money to upgrade several times as I learned more and things became available to me. All of my tanks were built on budgets too.

Argh sorry to stir things up. Don't get me wrong I was a nano freak myself so don't take this too seriously and I am definitely not against nano tank.

May be I will need to rephrase it to only if you could afford get the bigger tank possible in the first place. That way it could save you a fortune. Also ignore this if you are a nano fan because I know some people would like to keep thing small and simple and cute.... perhaps?

I think that many people get a nano(even if they could afford bigger) because they have a misconception that it is easier.

I started with a 30 and wish I started bigger. I already want to upgrade.

On the flip side, once I get some experience under my belt, I would love to do a small sea horse tank.

melosu58 said:
Stop talking and show me. :wink: I want to see some pics

P8270744.jpg

I got close ups too! :lol: :wink:

i got a nano because i move around alot and only plan on being where i am for about another 9 months or so, anyone have much experience moving their tanks, nano or otherwise?

My first SW tank is a nano, 5 gallon...

I went with a very nano tank becuase...

I am in college, I live in apartment style campus housing. And this is my 4thtank....I have 75 and 2 10s, all freshwater. I wanted saltwater, couldnt convert the 75 for less than 500 bucks, and the 10s are breeding tanks.

trust me though, I already want another 75 to do saltwater with...

I started with fish a year ago in a 10 gallon. 2 months later, I added a 29 gallon. I moved a month later, and added a 5 gallon. I moved 3 months later to my current apartment, and since i should be in here for the next 2 years, got the 75, lost the fish in the 5 gallon, converted it to a holding tank fora bit, got another 10 gallon for breeding feeders for the 75...that plan still isnt paying off yet :/ have gotten 2 bad batches of guippies from differant LFSs Decided to convert the 5 to salt, I have live rock in it right now, getting clean up crew in 6 days, fish 2 weeks after that if cycle goes well.

I would at least recommend that anyone who is starting with saltwater to get a 29 gallon tank, or larger. larger is always easier, but costlier...until you start getting small...that can cost a bit as well :/ but larger is easier, and a 29 is a good balance of size/effort/cost. Not too expensive, large selection for livestock including corals, and enough water so that minor mistakes wont be deadly. For freshwater starters, would recommend a 20g high prolly, maybe a 10 gallon or even as large as a 29 there.

Back
Top Bottom