What's the worst aquarium mistake you've made?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loachie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Reading a lot of these posts, I realize that I've made some pretty common mistakes. I thought it might be fun, interesting, and maybe useful to post the stories of our worst beginner mistakes and what we learned from them.

So, what's the worst mistake you've ever made with an aquarium, and what happened?

1st worst ... inserted over 40 fish in a non cycled tank. => result 15 dead
2nd worst ... didn't protect the filter sucking pipe. => result 22 dead

oh and BTW ... mistakes in a tank are not fun ... EVER :( watching your favorite fish die due stupidness is not at all fun

I left a maxi-jet pointed too far toward the top of the tank. after some water evaporated the maxi-jet started shooting water out of my tank. about 25% of the water ended up on the diningroom floor. I also forgot the o-ring for my protein skimmer and about 15% of the water ended up on my diningroom floor. It was the snap together hardwood laminate flooring it got ruined. I just recently had to re-do my diningroom floor. I put in tile flooring. Looks much nicer and if my tank breaks or overflows it won't be as bad of a disaster.

Here's mine:

When I upgraded from a 10 gallon to a 29 gallon aquarium, I unknowingly created the perfect recipe for greenwater. I'd just read an article on the benefits of anaerobic bacteria (which hadn't mentioned any of the dangers of these bacteria). So, I was delighted to find a sand substrate labeled "inert and safe for freshwater aquariums." Of course, it turned out not to be inert, releasing uncontrolled levels of minerals into the water. I also got help from a fish store employee, who asked if I planned to keep plants in my new tank. I said yes, I had a baby tears plant that was doing well in a 5 gallon tank, that I wanted to transfer. He told me that if I had any hope of keeping any plants alive, I needed "at least 2 Watts/gallon" for a "low-light" aquarium. He also sold me a micro-nutrient fertilizer, which he advised was "all I'd ever need."

So, I created an intense-light, sparsely planted tank with tons of minerals, low CO2, and almost no iron. I kept the light on for 14 hours a day, thinking that this was necessary to keep my single plant alive. Instead, I had the worst greenwater outbreak you can imagine. Unsure of what was causing it, I tried shutting out all light to the tank, killing my plant but not affecting the algae, at all. At this point, I couldn't even see my fish, and I was getting desperate. So, I did such frequent water changes that I uncycled the tank and killed some fish (including my favorite - a 2 yr old horsefaced loach). I was finally persuaded to try an algaecide chemical that contained copper and killed off my bamboo shrimp. After all that, and still no improvement, I removed all the substrate, filtered out the sand, boiled it, and put it back in the aquarium. The green water cleared up immediately, and some of my fish actually survived.

When I first started I bought a sponge bob tank 1 gal. maybe 1.5 gal and put 2 full grown male guppies and 6 neons in it, as soon as I got home with cold water and no heater and just a bubbler no filter the neons lasted about 2 hours and the guppies lasted about 2 days all on the recomendations of pets----. Needless to say that is when I found AA

I bought a new fish on impulse from the pet section of a garden centre, put it straight in with my two goldfish, no quarantine, a few days later all the fish got ich and died.

When I first started I got a 10 gallon tank and put two African clawed frogs and a little fantail goldfish. Not the most compatible, but at least no one was hurt before I wised up and got new tanks. The most destructive mistake I made was back when I was 14 I got two leopard geckos in a 10 gallon tank and didn't provide them with any heat other than a little blue light bulb. It took about a month for them to starve to death :( Sad.

Knock on wood but other than having an outbreak of ick that was easily treated and cured, I have never had a bad experience with having my tanks. I have only ever had FW tanks. Have raised Zebra Danio fry and Pink Convict fry with no problems. So I guess the ICK outbreak was the worst ....no wait, I came home one day to find my Betta laying on the dining room floor and he looked almost completely dry, I picked him up and put him back in his bowl and he lived! I couldn't believe that happened lol, thought he was a goner for sure.

I'd have to say buying the 10 gallon deluxe kit at walmart. Letting it run overnight, buying 2 danios the next day and throwing them in! Not only the poor fish had to go through it, but the constant water changes were a pain, at the very least.

Cost of the setup: $105 including fish
Finding Aquarium Advice and learning I'm screwed: Priceless

My worst mistake has been forgetting to dechlorinate while I was doing a water change. That cost me most of my rasbora's, rummy nose tetras and a couple tiger loaches.

So far the worst disaster was the seals breaking on my 75 gallon tank, putting about 70 gallons of water, a few dozen fish and a good 40 pounds of black sand all over the living room.

In breaking in my new CO2 regulator, I must have bumped the control valve or something because when I came home from work one eveneing, almost ALL of my fish were floating, swimming while listing to one side, or laying dead on the bottom.

After a quick large PWC and some drastic aeration, only 5 or 6 died (out of roughly 25) so it could have been worse.

Another incident that was not as lifethreatening but more frustrating was trying to plumb my CO2 reactor into the downflow, then upflow, of my sump tank. A week or two later I removed it and got a canister filter b/c it was just too darn difficult and ineffective. That stunk.

I noticed a small leak from my Fluval 304 (coming from the joint between cover and the bucket); didn't pay enough attention to it as it was well... small... and then got a call from my super asking if I had a flood as it was dripping on my neighbour's bed 1 floor below! No dead fish, just angred neighbour... Had to turn off my filter. BTW, I fixed the leak a week later by replacing an O-ring. Yesterday my Eheim pro II started to leak from the tube/aquastop joint. Just dripple. I left it to drip hoping it will stop, but put a towel underneath. Since it didn't stop by the EOD I had to turn it off. Hope to fix it by adding fumi tape and metal clamps today.

Wow there are some bad ones on here. Mine was when i set up my 55 on top of my dresser and forgot to check that the filter would fit between the tank and wall before i filled it and everything. I spent a whyle emptying that tank and refilling it.

I started a SW tank with basically zero knowledge and immediately after adding fish i got the worst hair algae/diatom bloom ive ever seen in my life that took near 2 months to clear up lol.

then i bought ricordea yuma mushrooms and they promptly withered away to nothing because my tank was too new or something. it was a bummer lol but thank goodness for AA

Not having a titanium grounding probe when the seal on my ph broke and wiped out my while tank.

I dont know where to start. It seems Ive made so many. All of them I guess lol...
Starting with getting a brand new 10 gal tank and getting two of each fish I saw. and loosing many fish in the process, My friends used to joke with me that I was running a gas chamber rather than an aquarium.

Then I got a couple of Kenyi (pseudotropheus lombardoi) without even knowing what a cichlid was. They were there for a while but then they started getting territorial so I left only 2 which turned out to be a pair.

But then in my last blunder I changed the water without dechlorinating and ended up killing the female. It was really sad And I felt like such a #$%#@%
But after coming to AA my blunders have been fewer and less serious. THANX AA......

I just remebered another mistake. I was dumping my saltwater waste onto my grass last year. This spring every spot I dumped water is dead. I raked soaked with water and planted massive amounts of grass seed with some patchmaster and the spots are still dead. I now think I will have to till up the ground and plant some sod in those area's. sod is not cheap. Because I am an idiot at times, My aquairum will probably end up costing me more than my Car yet I can't drive it anywhere. LOL

Back
Top Bottom