What's This Guy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jak

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all,

A friend of mine needs to get rid of this guy. I have a 55 gallon tank with some rainbows, dwarf gouramis, julii cories and a pleco.
1) Can I take him home with me?
2) What is it?

I also have a 36 gallon bow front which is empty. Can he go in there?

Attachments

• 1392500536073.jpg
    1392500536073.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 169
Hey all,

A friend of mine needs to get rid of this guy. I have a 55 gallon tank with some rainbows, dwarf gouramis, julii cories and a pleco.
1) Can I take him home with me?
2) What is it?

I also have a 36 gallon bow front which is empty. Can he go in there?

That's a leopard ctenopomas, and yes I do suggest you remove him and not the 36. They get pretty big (I've seen an 8" one) and I wouldn't keep it with the fish you have it with.

Banded leporinus. Grows to around 10 inches. Keep with larger tetras, larger gouramis or the more peaceful cichlids. Good jumpers too. Can be kept in groups of 6 or more if you have a large enough tank

Don't take him not with your current stock in the 55 your friends needs to take it to the lfs.

Can I put him in the 35 bow front?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No they need a 55 gallon minimum but he will kill some of the fish you have if you try it.

I would say he will be fine in 35 gallons, but I put my hard hat on before typing this. The amount of space we believe a fish needs is down to human ethics. If water quality is spot on and a fish is well fed and has room to swim, then what is the problem? If we were that worried our fish need loads of space, then we wouldnt keep them in aquaria at all.

In the wild.fish only really swim to find food or a mate :)

Hahaha not true at all the fish in the wild constantly move they school and swim the only ones that don't are Rock dwellers like sunfish, but trout and any other fish swim and swim and swim lol.

Again the leporinus will get to to 8 inches it needs a 55 gallon a 35 gallon is absolutely to small for one.

The minimums are really all based on how active the fish are, their lengths and amount of poop they create.

For the record this fellas is about 10-11 inches at the moment. And he'll be staying at home on his 55 long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello everyone. This is a friendly reminder to keep things friendly and on topic. These things are laid out in the community rules. If this thread continues to go off topic, now that 70 posts have been deleted, this thread will be closed. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom